Sunday, January 27, 2008

Message to Party Purists and Angry-as-hell Conservatives

“When I began entering into the give and take of legislative bargaining in Sacramento, a lot of the most radical conservatives who had supported me during the election didn’t like it.

“Compromise” was a dirty word to them and they wouldn’t face the fact that we couldn’t get all of what we wanted today. They wanted all or nothing and they wanted it all at once. If you don’t get it all, some said, don’t take anything. I’d learned while negotiating union contracts that you seldom got everything you asked for. And I agreed with FDR, who said in 1933: ‘I have no expectations of making a hit every time I come to bat. What I seek is the highest possible batting average.’ If you got seventy-five or eighty percent of what you were asking for, I say, you take it and fight for the rest later, and that’s what I told these radical conservatives who never got used to it.“
Who said it? (No fair staring at the label for this post)

Compromise, cooperation, and diplomacy are not betrayal and appeasement. It's smart politics.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

I'm almost positive it was Ronald Reagan, but what does the title of the post have to do with it?

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Isn't it not obvious?

10 pts to anyone who can explain what my point is, as the title relates to the quote.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Townsend said...

Reagan, indeed. That is why I am so frustrated with the'conservatives' who are so quick to wish for another Reagan and quote him from memory. If they were truly honest, they would realize he was a realist, a pragmatic politician. He knew the art of politics, how to compromise and was a confident leader. I'm sorry to say I am waiting for a portion of my party to grow up a bit and get on with it.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In political dispute it can be considered a strong point that one can negotiate and still reach compromise without abandoning principles. Conceding principle in order to gain compromise is why people are so cynical about the average, everyday and run of the mill politician.

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Well of course Ronald Reagan, it's hard not to see the label Word, it stick's out there all in blue lol

Reagan meant basically we arent going to get everything we want in every candidate, and compromise is sometimes necessary to get most of what you want as in "80%".

And most of what you want is better than nothing at all :-)

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Bushwack said...

While I agree in principle, I disagree in practice.

Meaning: During the campaign to send a Republican forward to be the nominee for the party, Conservatives need to unite in demanding a person with strong conservative values.

A lot of us so-called "ANGRY Conservatives" Shook the tree, to let the "R's" know that it is not a sure thing that we will vote the "R"

For a lot of us, the Illegal Immigration issue is the killer of men seeking office, McCain is on the wrong side of this issue, I was prepared to vote the R no matter who it was, UNTIL McCain enlisted the voice of Border jumpers Juan Hernandez.

I will not put a check by McCain, Obama, or Hillary's name.. I will vote for Mitt or Huck or GOD forbid Ron Paul.

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:52:00 PM  
Blogger Tapline said...

Word, the overwhelming response is compromise. But one cannot compromise on principles nor values these are the making of men. A compromise on and issue is what makes the world go round, but it is as Huck said about his religion is is a way of life with him and he will not abandon his basic beliefs for a point...My point exactly....stay well....

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:47:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I doubt even Reagan would be Reagan enough for today's hard-line conservatives.

Saturday, February 02, 2008 12:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved