Friday, June 06, 2008

Le Jeune Homme Et La Mort (The Young Man and the Death)

Ever since I saw this (probably on HBO) as a young person, I was riveted by the opening scene of White Nights. Baryshnikov makes ballet for men, cool. This is probably my favorite ballet (given that I'm not familiar with any others, other than seeing snippets of classical). And I think the French dancer in it is just deadly beautiful!




Below is another interpretation of the modern ballet piece:

Ballet de Roland Petit
musique de Jean Sebastien Bach
Bach Passacaglia in C Minor (for orchestra)
Le jeune homme = Nicolas Le Riche
La mort = Marie-Agnès Gillot

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SkyePuppy said...

Didn't you post this earlier??? I watched it sometime before yesterday, and now you've got me going through a sort of pseudo-déjà vu rift in the space-time continuum. It's disorienting...

Loved Baryshnikov in the first one. Are you sure La Mort isn't the same woman in both pieces?

On a side note in the French language... I met a French Canadian guy one time, when I was still fairly fluent in French, and he used the term about a woman, "méchantment belle." Wickedly beautiful. I've always liked that, but I suppose deadly beautiful is even more so.

And (I know it's not polite to nit-pick, but I'm going to let my good judgment lapse) the better translation of the title would be "The Young Man and Death." Even though "la" means "the," "la mort" means "death."

Thank you for the ballet!

Saturday, June 07, 2008 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I never know what to expect when I come here, Wordsmith! You are full of surprises. :)

I can't watch the video though... it's too choppy. It's not just this video. I think it's my server. I'm having a problem with all videos this morning.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

skyepuppy,

This did post earlier; but I didn't mean it to; I postdated it further.

Right now my internet is disconnected and won't be up until Thursday (maybe).

I'll only be able to post from work, library, friends'.

Thanks for the lesson in French.

gayle,

I like to keep my readers on their toes. (^_~)

Sunday, June 08, 2008 2:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved