Monday, July 21, 2008

"It was a dark, and stormy knight...."


Last night, I saw "Batman Begins" for the first time. Today, I decided to go see The Dark Knight.

I'm not big on going to the movies. I am a hard critic to please, when it comes to fully enjoying everything about a movie; although I am easy to please by keeping my standard for enjoyment relatively low.

Dark Knight has lived up to its hype, and the praise I've been reading about it are well-earned. It has action, lots of explosions, yes; but also story, psychologically-driven character/archetypes, and a complex exploration into morality.

Although the movie isn't political, the line about "it's always darkest before the dawn" struck a chord in me, as I've used the line to describe Iraq. "Things will start to get worse, before it gets better." Same goes for medical treatments- there's that rough moment when surgery puts you through misery and pain in order to heal you.

And in the movie when people were finger-pointing their anger at Batman and those who have tried to protect them, rather than laying blame and responsibility squarely on the shoulders of The Joker....well, you all know where I'm heading with that one.

Anyway, the movie is outstanding on a host of levels. It's the kind of masterpiece moviemaking that takes comic book nerdiness, and elevates it into the realm of graphic novel maturity and dramatic sophistication.

Funny how the movie shattered box office records over the weekend, when we're supposedly in the grips of a recession. But I suppose a movie like this is classified as "must see", moreso than belonging in the category of frivolous "discretionary spending".

This trailer is outstanding, btw....doubt many of you have seen the version.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I too enjoyed it but, I'll wager, it enjoyed its record receipts due to the Heath Ledger angle.

BZ

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Ron Simpson said...

I enjoyed the movie too. I had two complaints.
1) The movie should have left Harvey Dent/Two Face to the third movie. The little part at the end did no justice to the character. And it made the movie run a bit long.
2) This ain't a kids movie. My kids will NOT see it for a few years. The psychological drama of the Joker was so well done that I think it would be bad for my kids to see at this time.

Other than that it was AWESOME.

I want a Bat-Pod. Pretty, pretty please?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Thanks for the review. A friend and I are thinking about taking our boys to see it.

BZ is right in that I've never been interested in Batman before but want to see this one because I'm a Heath Ledger fan and I know this was his last movie.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved