Saturday, January 21, 2006

Some Favorite Reagan Quotes (Or: "Why do Trees Hate the Environment?")

In light of the 25th Anniversary of Ronald Reagan's First Presidential Inauguration, I thought some post-celebration was in order, by sharing some favorite quotes (List your own favorites in the comments section, if you so desire):
“We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added”

“The most terrifying words in the English langauge are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

“You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by the way he eats jelly beans.”

“I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.”

“Some of you may remember that in my early days, I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish ways.”

“A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?”

“Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do.”


That last quote can often be found on liberal sites deriding Reagan, and showcasing how "Republicans say the darn'dest things". But check out this from 4 years ago:

"Air pollution comes from trees," Ronald Reagan declared more than 20 years ago, soon after the start of his presidency. The remark earned him widespread derision as proof of his ignorance of environmental issues. Even his first press secretary, James Brady, teased him about it. Once when Air Force One was flying over a forest he grabbed the President by the elbow and, pointing down out of the window, said in alarm: "Look, Mr President: killer trees!"

But now new scientific research is showing that the former Hollywood B-movie star was at least partially right all along. For studies in both Britain and the United States have shown that some trees do indeed emit pollution and may even be killing forests downwind.

And then there is this more recently:

First, it was the discovery that forests absorb far less CO2 than previously thought. Now, the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics, after careful analysis of which organic gases are emitted from plants, have discovered that plants release methane, a greenhouse gas with 23 times the global warming potential of CO2. Equally surprising was that methane formation is not hindered by the presence of oxygen. This goes against all previous assumptions. The researchers estimate that ...about 10 to 30 percent of present annual methane production comes from plants.
Hah...I do believe Ronald Reagan has been vindicated. God bless his soul....a man of vision, ahead of his time. Take that, eco-terrorists!!!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike's America said...

I was thinking of an encore Reagan too. Something short,as I put in way too much time on the previous posts.

The blockquote definition is part of my template.

When I want to add a blockquote, I just put two tags "blockquote" and whatever text then "/blockquote" (replace the " marks with < and >

But you probably already knew that.

Do you have a blockquote definition in your template?

I have this one under "defaults"

blockquote {
background-image: url("http://members.aol.com/mikesamerica2/flagbkgrnd.jpg"); background-repeat: repeat
font-style:none;

padding:0 32px;

line-height:1.6;

margin:0 0 .6em 0;

and later this one under /*Typography Main Entry:

.post blockquote {
margin:1em 20px;
background-image: url(http://members.aol.com/mikesamerica2/flagbkgrnd.jpg); background-repeat: repeat
padding: 5px;
border-top: 1px solid #778493;
border-left: 1px solid #778493;
border-bottom: 2px solid #778493;
border-right: 2px solid #778493;
}


not sure which one does what. the URL for the background is the flag one that I saved on another server. You can do it with just a background color if you want.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well...I'll have to study that. Maybe I can somehow tweak the codes into my template.

But no, I don't think I have that. The quotes you see in this post are blockquoted....all it seems to do is add a margin, but doesn't embed them into a box.

Thanks for your help. It's nothing major, but I like the look of how you are able to box in text you are citing.

If anyone else is able to guess what we are talking about, if you have suggestions, pipe in.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

And yes....I am amazed by how much time you put into this past week's postings. Thanks again for organizing it all. I can appreciate how much work you put in.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I just randomly clicked onto California High School Conservative on my blogs for Bush blogroll and he has a list of Reagan quotes. My favorite there was this:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."

Sunday, January 22, 2006 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Does your template have a place where it defines how the blockquote will be done? If it does, that is were you would tinker.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I set up a testing blog, so that I don't have to risk totally screwing up experimenting on my actual blog by hitting "save" instead of "preview" or forgetting to cut, paste, and save before changing something in the template.

I looked at the scribe template you use and compared it to the minimum black template that I use. It appears that there isn't a default area where yours says "blockquote", on mine. I'll have to take a closer look later to see what I can change.

Meanwhile, I updated the color on my title.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 9:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Seth K. said...

The bit about trees being sources of pollution is as wrong now as it was when Reagan said it. Keppler et al. (2006) documented the release of methane from spontaneous decomposition of foliage under high UV stress in the lab, not methane production by plants. Please see Nisbet et al. (2009) for the resolution. There is no biochemical pathway by which plants can produce methane. And even if they did produce methane at the levels alleged by the first study (to repeat, they do not), it would not follow that a world without trees is better than a world with trees, nor that human emissions are insignificant. If anything, the narrowed margin of net carbon sequestration would make preservation of forested areas more important, not less. Reagan's original baseless assertion--and your partially-informed "vindication"--illustrate the dire need for increased funding for science- and critical thinking in American public education. Which--not for nothing--is also anathema to Republicans...

Monday, February 07, 2011 10:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved