Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day!

What does it mean, to be "American"? Lately, we have seen protest rallies with misleading signs: "We are a nation of immigrants" they say. But this is just as disingenous as the LA Times polling whether or not you support immigration; it is just as warping as gay activists proclaiming "Wear blue jeans this Friday to show your support and solidarity for gay rights." Well, how many people do you suppose just happen to wear blue jeans on any given day of the week?

No one I know who is against illegal immigration, denies that we are a nation of immigrants. And we all take pride in our ethnic heritage and the cultural background of our ancestors. We often celebrate one another's cultures and traditions as well, whether it be celebrating Cinco de Mayo, wearing green on St. Patrick's Day, gift-giving at Christmas time, or any other number of traditions.

That being said, I am really bothered by the liberal notions of "diversity" and "multiculturalism". Because the manner in which these concepts are promoted by the Left erodes the very fabric that holds our nation together. Rather than "out of many: one", what we end up with is, "out of many: many". There is no unity; no cohesiveness. Probably the only thing I will ever agree with Michael Savage on, is this: Borders, language, culture. America is not "many nations". It is ONE nation. The duty of immigrants is to assimilate into American culture; not to replace it with their own. They can add their own unique cultural flavor to the melting pot; but not segregate themselves into a whole different stew.

The problem facing us today, is that the Left have promoted and propagated into our heads, the notion that we must be "tolerant" and welcoming of others; rather than immigrants adapting to America, America is asked to adapt itself and be accomodating to the immigrants. This is backwards. All things are not equal; and what we are being asked to do, in essence, is allow the very traditions and values that MADE America what it is today, to be dissolved and diluted by the values and traditions of foreign nations.

I appreciate the unique immigrant cultures and traditions that have been brought to these shores, and successfully integrated into American mainstream life, as well as the non-mainstream. Each group has added their distinct flavor. What I am opposed to, is the liberal concept of diversity and multiculturalism, that sets foreign cultures on an equal plane as American culture. It's the same thinking that has pushed our Judeo-Christian traditions into being marginalized, rather than being the core-center of our national identity. And by "Judeo-Christian", I am not speaking religiously. But it is out of the religion (s), that our moral identity of tolerance, compassion, value for human life, has arisen.

I've been sitting on this post for a month, and what I really wanted to speak about, wasn't the topic of immigration; but since it is May Day, I figure I might as well tie in my actual topic to the current event of illegal immigration protests going on today.


Ack! Forget it. I'm heading to bed. I'll either finish this post tomorrow, sometime; or tell my tale in a subsequent post. Hope my thoughts aren't too jumbled together. I'm too tired to even proof-read, but feel like publishing anyway.

No way am I driving anywhere near downtown L.A.....or Wilshire and UCLA, for that matter.

Good night, and good morning!

(I'm boycotting Mexican food today! Ha! Let 'em take that! Not that anyone'll probably be working at those places anyway...but you get the point.)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Good post! :)

Speaking of "American" - I'm currently in the middle of a "WELCOME HOME HERO" campaign... one of my Georgia National Guard soldiers is coming home EXTREMELY SOON ~ I'm collecting "Welcome Home" emails for him, and will mail them to his "real" address on Saturday, so that by the time he gets home, he'll have it there waiting for him! :) What better way to celebrate being an American, than to welcome home a true american hero (while boycotting mexican restaraunts, LOL!). ;-) details at: http://crazynightinga.blogspot.com.

U rock - thanx for this post!

Monday, May 01, 2006 6:57:00 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I agree with you 100% on this post!! You make some great points!

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:45:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

There's a Mexican chain restaurant on the corner called, "Campos". On the way home from working with my morning client, I felt in the mood for cheese enchiladas. Guess what? Completely closed! Ain't that special? I don't know if I should patron there anymore, or if I'm over-reacting. After all, the great thing about this country is the freedom to take a stand on your beliefs. Of course....the stated Constitutional right to do so, should be reserved for American citizens. Non-citizen protests, tolerated maybe; but they don't have a citizen's right to demand anything of this country.

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Happy May Day, commie holiday!

I'm just waiting for one of the multiculturalist America hating Balkanizers to suggest we replace July 4th with Cinco de Mayo as Independence Day!

These folks waving American flags today should really be waving red flags.

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

The Left with their "tolerant" yeah right...to accept criminals of all backgrounds and countries...illegals/terrorists, etc. It is time to close the borders.....
These protests only add fuel to my fire on this issue. I think this whole situation is going to backfire on the illegals and the dems. Great Post!!

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I hope this protest comes back to bite them in the butt!

I'm watching Fox News at the moment, can somebody please go over and smack Geraldo Rivera upside the head?! He thinks we should treat the illegals as "honored guests"! ARGH!!!

Monday, May 01, 2006 5:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last November's riots of muslims in Paristan are the direct result of France's state enforced multiculturism. A society that propogates enclaves of culturally segregated groups who are not held responsible for their own lives is a recipie for disaster.

-------------------------
That being said, I am really bothered by the liberal notions of "diversity" and "multiculturalism". Because the manner in which these concepts are promoted by the Left erodes the very fabric that holds our nation together. Rather than "out of many: one", what we end up with is, "out of many: many"

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Geraldo Rivera needs a good smack upside the head. A hard "whack" would be even better!

This is an excellent post, Wordsmith, expecially as you are so tired. Get a good night's sleep once in awhile, will you?

So "Campos" was closed today? What a surprise, hunh? I'm glad I live in the country and don't have to observe these things. That would tick me off too. I'm not one to say you are overeacting... I would feel the exact same way. Happily, my favorite Mexican restaurant is out in the country, as I am. They weren't closed today. The owners, Mexicans, but legal immigrants, don't like this any more than we do, bless them.

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved