Sunday, November 12, 2006

"Log Cabin Conservatives"?! How Gay is that?

"It's so much easier to be openly gay in the Republican Party, than to be a Republican in Hollywood."-Peter Hankwitz
Last Tuesday we lost an election. Perhaps this video holds the key to a better and brighter future for the Republican Party? The secret to winning future campaigns? [/just kidding....maybe]

I don't follow this tv program regularly ("American Dad"), but I did catch last week's episode, and....you know, I don't know how my fellow conservatives will feel about watching it. I thought it was hilarious! And it has something for both sides of the political spectrum to chuckle about. As a social commentary, and just in overall funniness, I think it's very astute and well done. I'm sure liberals like it; but I'm just not sure how my conservative readers will respond to it. I'm curious to find out, if you will humor me, and take the 20 minutes out of your busy Sunday schedule, and watch it (before or after church...doesn't matter).

Part One:



Part Two:



Part Three:



I'm on the fence when it comes to gay marriage. It's just not an issue that I care deeply about, one way or the other. Since I'm aligned with the overall conservative ideology, though, what I do oppose are activist judges legislating from the bench when the people have time and time again rejected it. And it is irksome that the knee-jerk reaction of those on the Left is to label those who are opposed to same-sex marriage as "racist" and bigoted. Those on the Left would argue their case better, if they understood some of the conservative arguments against same-sex marriage. Many of the conservatives that I listen to don't want government interference; but when judges start legislating their own morality, what alternative is there other than to seek a federal amendment (which is not a ban on gay marriage! You might as well call it a ban on "bestial marriage", marriage between a child and adult, etc), defining marriage as between a man and a woman? Time and time again, states have voted on it, and states have rejected it. Let the people continue to decide at the state level.

The following article seems to fit the theme of the post (originally written around the videos as the heart of the post), so...go ahead and read; you know you want to!
Dennis Prager made me a gay Republican Excerpt:
Hankwitz used to be a Democrat but switched parties in the late 1990s after listening to conservative talk radio host Dennis Prager.

"It was something he said," Hankwitz said. "I don't remember exactly what it was, but for the first time I thought, 'Now I understand what Republicans really are about, that they care and they're inclusive.' I was so proud to have gotten it."

Hankwitz said what he likes about the GOP are its principles of "individual responsibility."

"Folks who claim to be family values-oriented are reflecting values that perhaps are not my and my family's values," he said. "Mine are limited government, free trade, a strong national defense…. If we as Americans support those issues, then we're more lined up with Republican values than Democratic values. The fringe right, the religious right has hijacked the name and brand and redefined the party as anti-gay and anti-abortion."

After 20 years in Hollywood, first as a talent manager, now as the owner of a small production company, Hankwitz said people in the entertainment industry often join the Democratic ranks because of peer pressure. Many Republicans in Hollywood, both gay and straight, are too fearful of being shunned or criticized by the liberal majority to admit it, he said.
I, for one, think it's great that there are gays who see the merits of voting GOP.

As an afterthought, in case you really are inclined to believe in the revisionist history regarding Lincoln (not Chafee, you chowderhead- the other one!), as hinted at in the video, take heart and read my post on a recent Abraham Lincoln book.

*UPDATE* 11/13/06 11:30am I happened to catch a thoroughly distasteful Simpsons episode last night, which I mentioned in the comment section; and which I just now discovered is being talked about in the blogosphere. Go to Flopping Aces for starters, including a video excerpt.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

I only watched about half of it. I thought most of it was funny although there were some things that were a little irritating.

I think you make a good point that no matter how you feel about gay marriage it has no business being legalized through the court system.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Hiya Word!..thanks for the kind words at my site..ah I oppose gay marriage vehemently for a myriad of reasons ..I can see why u like the videos but I think they are tryin to be PC..ah so what else is new eh?..lol Happy Vets day!

Sunday, November 12, 2006 7:42:00 AM  
Blogger blank said...

I take it a "chowderhead" is not a good thing. Gay marriage -- Oh my wordsmith, should I jump right in... get eaten alive?

I consider marriage to be two items: A commitment between the two people and God, santified sometimes by church, but a personal commitment made in the eyes of God.

The second portion of the marriage is the contract part - you know the part you get to fight over when you divorce. It is a contract, thus the lawyer cost when one divorces. God and the Church have nothing to do with the contract - it is a State issue and settled in STATE court.

Therefore; I appose any federal marriage amendment, as I believe it is a State issue. I know there is the full-faith and credit thing, but can be issue for the Supremes one day - it is the kind of the issue they can do the best to resolve. In the event some state is forced to accept another states gay marriage, then perhaps one might consider a constitutional admendment.

Second, the Biblical statement, render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and unto God what God's. The marriage contract is Ceasers (the state) and the Spiritual contract is God. The United States Constitution states supports the right of citizens to enter into any type of contract.

In order to save marriage, one must resolve the higher-than 50% divorce rate. As a former court-appointed child custody investigator, I can assure you that never did have a case where some gay and lesbian couple moved in next door and destroyed a marriage. All destroyed marriages are destroyed from within, by the parties themselves.

As a former child custody investigator, I laugh when I heard of saving marriage by preventing gays and lesbians to make contracts. Most State amendments do not end at defining marriage, they go on say all the things gays can not do. Therefore, it really has nothing to do with marriage and everything to do with being anti-gay, doesn't it?

Oh did I warn everyone - I'm not a republican, I'm a democrat, so I'm over on left.

I believe the issue is one of States rights, and each State should determine what type of contract gays and lesbians may make. California long ago had contacts between gays, and fire and brimstone did not fall on California. Earthquakes came in no greater frequency.

Constutional amendments have never been used to deny rights, except once, and that ammendment did not survive and was repealed. I suggest it would unwise to begin using constitutional amendments to deny rights.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Those videos are hilarious. Like you, I do not like a constitutional amendment and believe the states can handle this on their own. Arizona rejected their anti gay marriage ballot measure because it went too far in banning private contracts between people which is unconstitutional.

Roxie, I agree with you completely. If you're Blue Dog Democrat, I guess I'm a Red Dog Republican.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

chatterbox,

You really should watch it through to the end.

Angel, I don't know if "pc" is the right term...clearly some liberal caricaturizing of the right; but I think it's done in a way that isn't hateful toward Republicans. It's just...humorous and well-done.

Roxie, thanks for jumping in here. I didn't mean to make a serious post; but I suppose it's unavoidable, given the political seriousness of the topic of gay marriage.

So what did you think of the video?

I suggest it would unwise to begin using constitutional amendments to deny rights.

Like I said in the post, I believe the only reason that a constitutional amendment was proposed is because judges aren't leaving it up to the will of the people. There should not be an amendment; but what are the solutions when you have activist judges legislating their own beliefs?

In order to save marriage, one must resolve the higher-than 50% divorce rate.

From what I've heard, the 50% divorce rate is a myth. Here's Michael Medved's explanation of the 50% statistic.

Patrick...I'm so glad to hear someone also appreciated the video, and it's not just me who thought it was funny.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

I think that Seth Mcfarlane is a lot like the guys from South Park They try to show both sides of a subject,and be funny and offensive to whoever has thin skin on the subject. There was a openly gay republican running for state senate here in Minnesota this year (not sure if he won or lost because I don't remember his name) But anyway when there was an article about him in the news paper he said he never ran into one republican who criticized his lifestyle,but most gays would tear into him for being a gay republican.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger Malott said...

One problem with this kind of satire is that there are many, especially the young, who will believe that Republicans are really hate-filled boobs.

That particular Sunday night, two days before the election, three cartoons attacked Republicans.

Simpsons: War in Iraq
American Dad: Republicans hate gays.
Family Guy: Military recruiting and Iraq.

The problem with State Legislatures "taking care of" the gay marriage issue - is that they have no power. One liberal judge trumps everything "we the people" have to say on this subject. Tyranny, thy name is the judicial branch.

Monday, November 13, 2006 7:42:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

You put this post up on Sunday? I was over hear yesterday and didn't see any new content. Blogger must have cached the page.

I agree that the video was funny... and irritating. Mallot said that many young people believe this stuff. Unfortunately he's right.

I also think the gay marriage issue should be left up to individual states, but that the liberal judges are making it very difficult. I believe this is going to be an issue for many more years to come. Actually, I just wish the entire issue would go away, but that's never going to happen.

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Welcome, Malott. Thanks for your input. I actually caught the Simpsons last night; and I found it absolutely unfunny. Jon Carry would have loved it though. Prevalent throughout, are liberal assumptions about the military. It didn't feel like just plain satire or a purposeful caricaturizing; reading between the lines, you could sense that this is how the writers really feel about the military.

AA, I think it's similar to how black Republicans are sometimes ostracized; even though it's argueable whether or not gay issues is a civil rights struggle.

Republicans get blasted when they fall short of living up to moral standards, because Republicans are supposed to be the party of family values. Similarly, Democrats should be called out when they show a lack of tolerance and respect for free speech when minorities jump ship and when conservative voices are shouted down on college campuses; after all, they pride themselves as the party of diversity and free speech.

Gayle, I'm so glad you are able to watch videos now. I wasn't sure how you'd take to this one.

Monday, November 13, 2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Just found out that the Simpson's episode is being talked about; so I updated this post with a link to Flopping Aces. Check it out.

Monday, November 13, 2006 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I'm glad I have a high speed connection too, Wordsmith. I missed out on so much and didn't even realize it.

I don't think I could survive what's going on these days without a strong sense of humor.

I'll check out the Flopping Aces link. Thanks! :)

Monday, November 13, 2006 4:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved