Requires the Willful Suspension of Disbelief
Let's repeat it again:
POLITICAL PROGRESS in IRAQ:
GEN Petraeus told Wolf Blitzer on Jan 27, 2008 that the Iraqi government:
- Passed a pensions law that extends pension rights to tens of thousands of individuals who were left out in earlier arrangement several years ago.
- they passed the Iraqi flag law in the council of representatives. Now, you might think that’s purely symbolic. It’s not. It has been a contentious issue for several years. The current flag does not fly in portions of the Kurdish regional government are in Iraq. And so this is an important step forward.
- The de-Baathification reform bill, so-called accountability and justice law, has passed
- The 2008 budget is being debated right now in the council of representatives, and it distributes oil revenues in a way that is in line with the oil revenue-sharing bill that could be debated later in the year
- So, again, all of a sudden, it’s as if there’s a new dynamism in the council of representatives.
Not only that, but the Iraqi Parliament has been more effective than the U.S. Congress:
The House Committee on Foreign Affairs compares Bills Signed Into Law:
- Democratic Congress – 48
- Iraqi Parliament – 53
Inflation Drops 90% In Iraq (and other good news)
- Year-to-date inflation as of October 2007 is 4.2%, compared to year-to-date inflation through October 2006 of 42.7%
- The continued appreciation of the Iraqi dinar went from 1,475 dinars per U.S. dollar in late 2006 to 1,218 dinars per U.S. dollar currently.
- Electrical output/production is up 14% from this time last year.
- The postwar electricity production record for one day (123,000 MWh) was broken on October 12, 2007 with the production of 125,000 MWh.
- Violence and casualties are down
- Security is up
- Sectarian deaths have plummeted
- In NOV 2006 there were 6 Iraqi Division Headquarters, 30 Brigade Headquarters and 91 Battalions.
- In NOV 2007 there are 10 Division Headquarters, 34 Brigade Headquarters and 108 Battalions.
Iraqi Police Impress U.S. Troops
More good news for Pelosi to deny
The Real State of Iraq