Sunday, October 05, 2008

Voting for a Candidate Because of Race to Get Beyond Race

Republican supporter Brian Hagmeier listens as Democratic Presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) speaks during a campaign stop in Burlington, December 29, 2007.
REUTERS/Keith Bedford


When will it cease to matter? Do we really need Barack Obama as the proof that America is moving beyond race? He is everything I disagree with on policy issues. Not too keen on his character, either.

I got the following in an email, from a friend of mine (who is not an Obama supporter)

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM, donna wrote:

So tonight at the college while Nika was training , I spoke with a black
guy coach doing his privates.
He had Obama written on his chest.
I asked him in one sentence why Obama, he said
" he's black, end of story"

I let him go on and basically he represents a future for his son, that if he
can make it to the white house than his son can.
I told him, but what if, what if>>>> he's not the right guy, the smartest choice?
He said, blood is thicker than water, and his pigmentation says he's the right guy.

This coach is no idiot either....but his passion ran so deep, he was jumping off
the walls talking about it.
Interesting huh?
So, essentially what he's teaching his son is that skin color- not character content- matters? That "racial identity" is more important than "values identity"? What a great father. This is how racism persists, and how it is perpetuated into the next generation.

I told my friend to send that coach this video:




I ask cajole plead implore beg grovel for everyone to take the time to watch it. This man simply rocks!

Hat tip for the video: Pierre Legrand

Cross-posted at Flopping Aces

Of related interest:
Black Caller Explains Why Obama Candidacy Is So Important To Him (Dennis Prager Show)
Obama's sister helps reach out to Asian-Americans
Barack Obama and Slavery (American Thinker)
My personal story on identity

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger christian soldier said...

Has the coach not heard of men of honor like:
Clarence Thomas
Thomas Sowell
just to name two?

Sunday, October 05, 2008 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

That's something else I wanted to have my friend ask him: Whether or not he'd vote Republican, if our candidate were black.

Certainly not a good reason to me; but I'm curious to know how much is in fact loyalty to skin color, and how much to political identity + skin color.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Rita Loca said...

I am still trying to figure out why Obama is considered a black man, with a white mother. Why not a white man with a black father? Why is one race considered over the other? Why cant he celebrate being the best of both???

Monday, October 06, 2008 5:28:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I watched the entire video, Wordsmith...2WOW!

This fantastic video is being stolen by yours truly and placed at the top of my blog. Thanks! :)

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:01:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I watched the entire video, Wordsmith...2WOW!

This fantastic video is being stolen by yours truly and placed at the top of my blog. Thanks! :)

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that I'm also a Gun loving Racist.
So be it.

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that I'm also a Gun loving Racist.
So be it.

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

I'm like you Word, I could care less what color he is his political views, character and associations go against everything I believe in and stand for.

I would say the exact same thing if he was green, orange, purple, blue or white.

My vote is color blind yet if one has the gaul to disagree with Obama or dislikes his politics they are accused of being a racist. 100% agreement with Obama is the only thing that stops the racist charge. So I ask you, who then is the real racist ?

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:45:00 AM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

BTW, forgot to mention, FANTASTIC video. He needs to be out on the campign trail and the talking head shows for McCain!

Monday, October 06, 2008 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Why is one race considered over the other?

It's a double standard, jungle mom. It's another reason why affirmative action and reparations is ridiculous. Have just one drop of blood from an ancestor who is negro, and you're considered black.

Glad you guys took the time to watch the video. Alfonzo Rachel should be hired by the McCain campaign as an opening act, and do Republican ads.

Monday, October 06, 2008 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

I could care less if Obama is Purple, he doesnt have the experience to lead this Country.

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I remember that top photo. I snagged it awhile back but I'm not sure I've used it yet.

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Yeah, you snagged it from me and used it right away, you loved it so much!

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved