Friday, December 05, 2008

Resident Select, Barack Obama

This is still talked about by bloggers I respect, and in a couple of reader posts over at Flopping Aces.

I'm in agreement with Matt Lewis here, who's in agreement with Michelle Malkin, here. And especially here:

My immediate response to Marc would be that to understand Townhall is to understand that we represent a broad array of conservative voices and opinions. In fact, we do not even publish editorials or take editorial positions. What is more, clearly we have regular writers (Kathleen Parker, for example) who express viewpoints that I personally find absurd, offensive and often childish. Clearly some conservatives out there like her though -- so we still run her columns ...

This whole notion of Obama's birth certificate, however, is something I've been meaning to write about anyway, as I have grown very tired of seeing a few of our commenters dwell on this ridiculous rumor.

I am of the opinion that anyone advancing the notion that Obama is not a citizen, and thus not qualified to become president, is actually undermining the conservative cause. Sadly, this ridiculous "conspiracy theory" will only serve to undermine the legitimate attacks on Obama, by casting us all in the role of zealots.

All indications are that Obama was born in the state of Hawaii. His mother was clearly an American citizen. In many regards, Obama has more of a claim to be eligible for the presidency than did Barry Goldwater (born in the "Arizona territory"), George Romney (born in Mexico), or John McCain (born in the Panama Canal Zone)...

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Obama, but dwelling on this ridiculous notion will only serve to undermine them.

To answer Marc's question of whether or not this is a legitimate question to ask, I would only reply that this is a legitimate topic if you believe in free speech. Moreover, it is not racist, sexist, or vulgar -- just (in my opinion) very destructive and unhelpful to those who care about advancing the cause of conservatism...

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

Even if there was absolute proof that Obama was born in East Mofoco (or wherever his family is from in Africa), there is no frickin' way he's going to be removed as president.

No way.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

If THEY state it it must be true:
Ayers-NYT-I was not really a terrorist...
9-ll-01- really was an inside job by Bush and co......
BHO-really is a US citizen...
The Dark Side can twist words like nobody's business....

In this Constitutional Republic - one must be born a US citizen to be President...if there is a legitimate question ----it must be answered with proof!
C-CS

Saturday, December 06, 2008 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Rivka said...

Honestly,
I don't know what to think about this one. I agree that we shouldn't make a big deal out of it if it is nothing, yet on the other hand we need to make sure our presidential candidates are following the rules.

I am wondering how this whole thing works anyway. Aren't all presidential candidates required to prove they were born here before running? If it didn't matter then anyone could run and we could end up getting an enemy of ours taking over. Who knows. I think it is there for a reason, but I have no idea if this Obama thing is a witch hunt or not. That is why on my blog I just posted the story where Alan Keyes is now involved, but didn't give an opinion as to whether I thought it was worth it or true or anything because I don't know. It was interesting that Keyes was joining the pursuit though.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rivka said...

There is also a part of me that just says: O.K. everyone, let's just hold our nose and get through this Obama presidency, and address more important issues against him, which we will have plenty of.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 2:33:00 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

No more Lesser of Two Evils L_O_T_E_- or 'holding my nose" for me...
I wrote a poem (on my blog-March 2008) about Froggy and the 'hold your nose' never ending mantra....
C-Cs

Saturday, December 06, 2008 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

An aside:
My barista can't wish this but I can:
MERRY CHRISTMAS - everyone!
C-CS

Saturday, December 06, 2008 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I just posted the story where Alan Keyes is now involved,

Here's one FA post with some good comments.


I just don't see anything coming out of this but ridicule for conservatives.

Same with this issue.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 5:47:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I have said all along that I don't know what to think about this issue. I'm of two minds. I agree with you in that the right needs to stop obsessing about it. It's unproductive and unhealthy. With this said, he is not above the law and until the question has been really been given a hearing, I don't think it should be ignored. His entire career is based on dodging tough questions. He needs to start answering some.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 7:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to Post a Comment

Did you hear the good news? Obama is making it better for us already! Most people don't realize how much money there is out there. During economic times like this, there is more money to be had than ever. Because of the bailouts and economy, lenders are bending over backwards to bail you out too. Believe it or not, there is people getting tons of cheap money nowdays to start businesses, buy homes, pay off debt, and more. Bailout is for YOU

Saturday, December 06, 2008 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Linking another FA reader post.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 8:38:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Townsend said...

It's all bizarre. I don't trust Obama one bit but I do see this as hurting Republicans more than it helps. Then yesterday I read where Clarence Thomas has filed a lawsuit, too, so who knows what is going on. Either way, he's is going to be president and we may as well carry on and get through it.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

A Constitutional REPUBLIC is what we have in the US--not a democracy (thank God!)...I don't care how many people voted for BHO-I don't care how many states had a majority for BHO-

The Constitution was written by the Founders for a reason-we brook the reason-and we will reap the whirlwind...so-a little 'tweak' here and a little lapse there and we have NO CONSTITUTION...

Our TROOPS are 'over there' now having vowed to "Protect and Defend the Constitution" and we are here making excuses for BHO and his 'no true documentation'..!???
C-CS

Sunday, December 07, 2008 12:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Obama wants to be President he should show us the money. How hard can it be to put this story to rest if all he has to do is show the birth certificate? I had to show my birth certificate to get a Passport, get registered at school and to join the military. Now Mr Obama, show us the money.

Monday, December 08, 2008 3:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved