Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remember Him with Laughter

Photo by Scott Varley, for the Daily Breeze



"He told us ... `I don't want you to remember me in tears,"' his mother, Gail Johnson-Roth, told about 250 mourners at his funeral at Los Angeles National Cemetery in Westwood. "`I want you to remember me with laughter."'
-from the Daily Breeze, two years ago




Yesterday afternoon I went to the Los Angeles National Cemetery in Westwood.

Not long after arriving, as I was walking through the cemetery, a particular gravesite stood out because it was embraced by flowers and balloons. I guessed it was a recent soldier who had died. Walking over to it, I recognized the name of who I stumbled upon: Daniel Patrick Cagle. I had put together a post when he was buried two years ago, moved by the above photo. It had caught my attention on the front page of a local paper (Torrance, actually; but still part of the greater LA area), The Daily Breeze, as I was waiting in a diner.

Here are a few photos I took yesterday:


may-25-2009-dsc05147

may-25-2009-dsc05148

may-25-2009-dsc05149


I do hope and pray that Cagle's family and friends can remember him with laughter amidst the tears.

I don't know if I'll put more photos up. Z also visited the LA National Cemetery and has posted photos.

Cross-posted at Flopping Aces

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved