Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ed McMahon, March 6, 1923- June 22, 2009


No matter what he did after "The Tonight Show," however, Mr. McMahon will likely always be remembered as America's favorite second banana, perhaps the most famous sidekick in television history.

“For 40 years Johnny and I were as close as two nonmarried people can be,” he wrote in "Here's Johnny! My Memories of Johnny Carson, the Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship," a best seller in 2005. “And if he heard me say that, he might say, ‘Ed, I always felt you were my insignificant other.’”
Photo: NBc

6 years, 2 wars, and 85 combat missions serving in the Marine Corp. That was part of Ed McMahon's 86 year history, as well.

It's the passing of a generation, folks.

Full post at Flopping Aces

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Rest In Peace. He was a good man. Whioe I thought Carson was funnier, I actually liked him more than Carson.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

A true American Icon. He will truly be missed. His 30 years on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson were some of TV's finest moments!

Thanks for the tribute Word.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:52:00 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

It is indeed the final passing of The Greatest Generation. I loved watching the interplay between Johnny and Ed. Both were quite the Class Act.

Rest in peace, Ed.

BZ

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved