Monday, September 19, 2005

Arrr, international Talk like a Pirate Day Gar.

Ahoy, i knew it was "Talk Like a Pirate Day" today, and should have blogged about it. A pence for an old man o'de sea?

Aye, ok....last year while dri'in' t' work, Me was listenin' t' Hugh Hewitt (one o' my fa'orite talk radio hosts) and it was "talk like a pirate day". He had one o' the funniest programs that day. He kept hangin' up on callers who war tryin' t' discuss serious politics. But if they warn't talkin' like a pirate, he'd cut 'em short no matter how important the substance o' what they wanted t' say, seemed t' be. Some had horrible pirate impersonations, and he'd hang up on those. Some would try t' just talk like a pirate at first hello, then get their talkin' points out in their regular 'oices, and he'd hang up on them as well.

So, the memory o' that was such fun, I went int' work talkin' like a pirate. As some o' you might know, I work at a gymnastics club. The kids got a real kick out o' it.

Tis' silly fun. Aye.


Ahoy, one o' the team kids said I sounded Irish.

It was kind o' rough durin' the first class. Me have this one tiny 6 year old, real cute and talented, and I was warned that she's been ha'in' problems because her parents be in the process o' gettin' a di'orce. Sure enough, she had a couple o' moments whar she'd burst int' tears because she was sufferin' some sort o' separation anxiety. Me was afraid my pirate-talkin' would alienate her....me bein' the alien. But I was told that when we split up int' groups (6 kids per instructor), t' take her with me because she felt comfortable around me.

Aye.

Blogger Mateys: Aargghhh!!! Sister Toldjah

Ahoy, helpful links (e'en though Talk Like a Pirate Day is pretty much o'er): A pence for an old man o'de sea?

About Talk Like a Pirate Day

Pirate Speak Translator


Why are right-of-center, conservative bloggers so damn cool? Because they just Aarrgh!


Top 25 things to say at the office during Pirate Day:

25> "No cover sheet on your expense report? Prepare yerself to be walking the plank, matey."

24> "Hop to it, dogs: Thar be leftover catering booty in the break room for plunderin'."

23> "Sixteen men an' a copier mess -- yo, ho, ho and a bottle of toner."

22> "Avast, men! Get a telescope full of the doubloons on *that* vessel."

21> "I'll be keelhaulin' the next one of ye what leaves ye filthy Tupperware in the break room sink!"

20> "Arrr, matey, have your parrot call my parrot and we'll one day partake of noontime grub together."

19> "No, Bob Dess, I will not 'shiver your timbers.' I will, however, call my attorney."

18> "To arms, me lads! The spoils of the snack machine shall be ours, to each in a fortieth share!"

17> "Me cell phone fell deep into Davy Jones' locker Nobody flush... I'll go get me hook."

16> "Save that last donut for me, unless ya care to feel the cold steel of my hook hand up yer arse, matey."

15> "Be that a peg leg, or arrr ye just happy to cast yer eyes upon me?"

14> "Fax ahoy, mateys!"

13> "Avast! A Team Builders meeting off our schedule's port bow! Scuttle yer productivity, mateys, and prepare to be bored-ed!"

12> "No increase in me pay? Arrr, boss, let me tell ye where ye can store that hook!"

11> "Hold that elevator, ye whoreson bilge rat!"

10> "Ye bent my ear with yer lubberly questions WITHOUT tryin a reboot first? Arrr! It's the plank for you, ye mangy cur... and thank ye for calling Microsoft Tech Support!"

9> "Arrr, load the Canon, wench, and collate me copies!"

8> "Avast, ya scurvy knave! Brave be ye, for certain, but arrr ye willin' ta die fer that parking spot?"

7> "Twenty paces past the Magic Fountain of Water... bear ye left past the Chamber of Meetings... and a minute's voyage down the Great Carpeted Hallway... the unisex bathroom'll be on yer port side."

6> "Aye, if it's a large treasure chest and amazin' booty ye seek, fix yer gaze upon the receptionist."

5> "Boss, I'll be borrowin' a coupla doubloons from petty cash fer some Ho Ho's and a bottle of rum."

4> "Aaaarrrrrghhh! Who among us floated the air mead?"

3> "Arrr! I've arrr!anged for Arrr!lene in arrr!chives to send up that arrr!ticle on arrr!bitration."

2> "Avast, ye demon copy machine! Taste the wrath of my arse!"

1> "Arrr, I have made note of yer demands and I have but one question for ye: Will ye be wantin' slivers o' potato fried in the popular French style with that?"

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Y' know how a pirate asks a wench out on a date?

Arrrrrrgh ya doin' anythin' Saturday night?

How much does a pirate pay for his gold earrings?

A buccaneer

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Ye know why you two are so great? Because ya just aarrr!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ahoy, me missed talk like a pirate day Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved