Saturday, December 31, 2005

The Forging of the Hammer that Falls Upon the Anvil

I first began this post on July 31st, shortly after starting this blog. I decided to update and publish this draft for my New Year's Eve post.

This past sunday (*ahem*...again, this was originally started on July 31st) I refound the blog that inspired me to become a blogger myself. I forgot how I had originally found it. But what hooked and reeled me in, was discovering his series of entries describing how he had undergone the transformation from Democrat to Republican. It even gave me the germ of inspiration for my first blog entry here. So I owe him my gratitude for giving me my jump start. (Note, that this is his current blog).

Before that, I became fascinated with poliblogs, following and reading much of Hugh Hewitt's opinions regarding old media and new media and the rise of citizen journalists. He's been one of its prominent, foremost advocates, spearheading a whole alliance network of information exchanging. Also, what he brings with him is credibility amidst criticism of the blogosphere as a bunch of know-nothing hacks in pajamas. You can say that about me (usually in my underwear and no shirt, but that's probably more information than you wanted to know), but not about someone like Hugh Hewitt who is a Constitutional Law professor (I suggest you visit his blog if you believe President Bush violated his Constitutional authority in wire-tapping; a story which looks to be a losing strategy for Democrats. Radioblogger often has transcripts of many of his interviews with some of the most brilliant legal scholars and analysts this side of politics). Hugh Hewitt decimated and dissected MSM's incompetence and dishonest self-importance throughout this past year, on his program Wednesday.

Besides political blogs, the milblogs have been one of the greatest sources of perspectives and opinions to drink in. I am now a thorough blog-junkie.

Creating this blog was mostly done for myself; so I have a place to formulate my ideas and arguments, and collect different sources of information together in one place for me to fall back upon when I need to refresh my memory on news items. It hasn't quite worked out that way, as the amount of news data and opining out there is vast and I find myself with little time to blog the way I would like to. So I've learned to find a comfortable niche and not worry about publishing and opinionating on things that my friends and others are doing so much better than me on, anyway.

What I love, is that I'm forced to do my research if I want to opine on anything with some level of knowledge and not look like a complete ignoramus. It's made me into a better, more knowledgeable conservative opinionist. Visiting liberal sites, something I hadn't done before, has also helped keep me more honest. There is nothing worse than arguing a partisan point, when the facts don't back you up; and nothing better than reading those sites as a cross-reference, and coming away with a stronger belief that your side is on the right. Certainly, I regard myself as center-right; but nothing pushes me over further and further to the right, than reading the strong opinions of liberals.

Within minutes of publishing my first introductory post here, Mark found me out, and posted a greeting. It was quite a shock as he still won't tell me what he was doing to find me. Especially so quickly, when to this day, not even most of my friends know about my blog, let alone care to pay it a visit.

I am thankful to Mark for extending the first hand of friendship to me in the blogosphere. Through him, I have "met" other bloggers and enjoy the community and readership he has developed over on his blog. In addition, for the past 6 months that I have been here, I have developed some other great relationships and thank all of you out there (including those liberals who visit and cause me to struggle and squirm; and even the others who do nothing but feel like a bad rash- at least I don't feel ignored, so thanks for the itch). I may not post all the time on your blog, but I do visit my blogroll often. With so much to read out there on a daily basis just to feel informed, I sometimes neglect leaving a comment behind. So please don't feel neglected by me. Sometimes, too, I just need a break from being "inside the wardrobe" and attend to my life in "the real world". Hey! I think I just coined a phrase: "coming out of the wardrobe". If "coming out of the closet" means you are admitting publically that you are gay, then "coming out of the wardrobe" means......"you are stepping back into reality"? Hmm...except that Narnia was real...in the context of the books....ok, gotta think that one through a bit more.

As an aside, today at work I received my order from Amazon of "The Heritage Guide to the Constitution". I think this book should be in everyone's library. For anyone who cares about The Constitution, the interpretation of it, the history of how it's been interpreted, and how it is currently being interpreted.

We live in a remarkable day and age where information is at your fingertips; where news dissemination is streamed in "real time", in an instant rather than waiting for you next morning on your front porch; and where you can debate and share opinions with strangers who become friends, from anywhere on the globe.

Don't forget about CJ. Today's the last day of voting. He's about 30 votes behind. It's not too late!

God bless everyone, everywhere and looking forward to more in 2006. See you folks next year!

6 Comments:

Blogger Bos'un said...

Happy New Year Wordsmith. Thanks for sharing that blog. We all come from some very interesting walks of life. I was just over at Gary's new website. Thanks for sharing his link as well. Catch you later. Have several last minute things to do today, but, had to drop by for your latest thoughts and ideas. Later, Bos'un

Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Sparky, I, for one, am glad you started your blog. I have learned a great deal from you. Details you researched supported many thoughts I have had and I thank you for taking the time to do it.

Here's to wishing you good tidings in 2006!

Cheers!!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Wordsmith!

I'm going to have to come back and read up on that blog--too tired tonight, but looking farward to it!

Oh, and, look out for Mark. He's a sneaky one! ;)

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:39:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks, peeps! Now go get some sleep! Tomorrow comes today!

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

See that little button in the top right hand corner of your blog page? The one that says, "Next Blog"?

That's how I found you. And I am very glad I did.

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Wow! So it was all just a roll of the dice? Must have been meant to be!

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved