Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Break from Politics

I still have no clue what being "MeMe'd" means. All I know is that I'm supposed to respond to it. Patriotic Mom gave me this...meme, which is like some out-of-control, blogger cootie virus. I suppose I should feel flattered that she chose to tag me, but I really don't like this stuff. It's like those darn e-mail forwards; especially the ones that say, "...now forward this to at least 10 people in the next 5 minutes or you shall be cursed throughout the rest of the year!"

When I first began this blog, I wanted a good deal of anonymity, so that I could distance myself from anything stupid coming out of my keyboard. Hence the username, "Wordsmith from Nantucket." No, there's nothing really special in why I chose the title. You could say, I lacked imagination for anything else (although I've thought of cool names since).

But over the past months, some of my personal life has leaked out here and there. And that's ok. I'm no longer paranoid about being found out. So, I thought I'd use this meme about revealing "5 quirky things about myself" to...well, talk a bit about myself:

1. To this day, I still love, and on occasion collect, Lego sets. I have sets that stretch back to the 70's, and even some hand-me-downs from the 60's, I believe. It's one of the few toys I've kept together. My collection is quite vast. For your entertainment, check this out:



2. I'm totally not above listening to "uncool" music...and feeling cool about it. I love driving my Camaro, with the windows rolled down, playing The Carpenters or John Denver. A favorite is when my ex-girlfriend's daughter had an audio tape mix which had Hanson's Mmmbop on it. I would play that song even when the kid wasn't riding with me. The dorkier the better. I keep waiting to be at a stoplight with a car full of cholos next to me. I'm not sure why, since I actually don't want trouble. In high school, after reading A Separate Peace, I wore a pink sweater around just to see if anyone would pick on me. No one ever did.

At the gym I work at, every Saturday morning, I like annoying my beginning girls class by playing the following song on the CD player:



It's like a running gag. I'm even annoyed by the song, at this point. But it's become a ritual.

3. Since April of 2000, I've been addicted to WWE. That's 100% because of Chris Jericho, who was pure charisma in 2000-1. My interest has since waned since he and wrestling entertainers like The Rock and StoneCold Steve Austin are gone.

When it comes to connecting to an audience in one-take, no one does it better than the best in this business:



Studying the way wrestlers cut their promos has actually helped my public speaking abilities when I wish to be entertaining and draw attention. Scary, yes, I know.

4. I love folding paper. I do it every day. I do it as a pastime hobby, and I do it as a side business; I do it to entertain others. Here are a couple of examples:


The King Cobra is designed by Ronald Koh of Singapore. I folded it out of a single sheet of paper. No glue, no scissors, no painting. Just all folded paper.

The roses are designed by a friend of mine here in Los Angeles, Phu Tran. The directions are unpublished, although it is derived from the twistfolding rose method of the famous Kawasaki Rose. Phu's rose only has a little dab of glue where I rolled the paper for the stem. The stem, leaves, calyx, and rosehead themselves are not glued together, but interlocked.

For more, you can check out my flickr photo album.

5. I remember being born. No, I'm dead serious about this.

The meme ends with me, as someone has to do it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Curt said...

Argh! That song you play at the gym would send me over the top....lol

Good stuff tho, that snake you folded out of one piece of paper is amazing...

Dont think I will comment on the pink sweater tho =)

Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger devildog6771 said...

I got this one too. It wasn't too bad. But the first one I got, I never did figure it out, lol. Of all the replys to this one I have read, yours are the best. I am amazed at your paper foldings. I have seen some of this before but nothing as delicate and complicated as yours. I love your legos.

I like to collect Star Trek Micro machines. I love anything Trek, B5, Star Gate, and Battlestar Galactica. You made me think of those when I read your comments.

Hope your New Year brings you Peace and contentment.

[ps, go through your post html and split up any long links and it will bring your side bar back up. I do this all the time, lol!]

Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Curt..tough guys wear pink. That should be the title of a movie.

Yeah, that song has a love-hate thing going on at the gym, thanks to me.

DD, the lego movie isn't done by me, in case that's what you meant by the compliment. If I could only be so talented!

I'm addicted to the new Battlestar Galactica series, although I still grumble that they could have well made a continuation or just called it something completely different.

I'm baffled about your last comment. I looked at my blog through internet explorer and through Mozilla, and it looks fine. How long have you noticed my sidebar not being there? I'm not sure how far back I have to go.

And incidentally, yours usually looks pretty jumbled to me...like things crashing into one another, when I view it through Mozilla firefox.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:55:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Sparky..I promise, I wont do it to again (my fingers are crossed behind my back). I could have probably written at least 20 more quirky things about myself but if I did, somebody might think I was a bit on the edge. Then again, most people know that I am...no big secret there!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the paper folding. I don't know where you find the patience for it! I can't even use a tape gun without getting riled up!

Incidentally, your blog looks fine in my Firefox browers. Somebody just posted on my blog the other day that my blog looked jumbled, too. What's up with that? He said it wasn't coming across as left-justified type even though it shows that on mine. Does mine look okay to you, Sparky?

Monday, January 02, 2006 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Looks fine from here. I'm baffled and irked about it, since it's hard to pin down rhyme and reason for it. I'd understand if I was able to view the same thing devildog did. So I can't tell if I fixed the problem, unless DD comes back and responds to this.

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Wordsmith, you are awesome! You have much patience and talent with the paper folding. And I like your quirkiness! ;)

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved