Friday, January 27, 2006

Bumper Car Wars

Last November, I made a post on bumper stickers. Below is the post I actually started back in August (and finished this past week).









Back in August of O-five, while driving home from work, this car in front of me caught my attention, navigating onto the 10 freeway: "Frodo failed. Bush has the ring."

If there's nothing that makes me roll my eyes more than anti-Bush bumperstickers, it's Lefties trying to claim Tolkien's work as supporting their political worldview. What could be a more conservative message than the acknowledgement that there is good and evil in this world? And that the good is worth fighting and even dying for?




As much as conservatives disagreed with or even hated Bill Clinton, the amount of anti-Clinton books and bumperstickers and such was never anywhere near what the anti-Bush market is like, out there. It almost seems like Bush-bashing is the "in" thing to do. It's expected. People out here in Los Angeles will openly bash President Bush in front of total strangers, assuming that everyone must feel this way. Rather than pro-Democrat, pro-liberal bumperstickers....why so many anti-Bush bumperstickers? I mean, there are a wide variety of them. Many being rather offensive, such as "No more Bushit"; and worse, involving real 4-letter words. I know liberals don't have a monopoly on inappropriate language and behavior, but why is it that it usually IS liberals who wear T-shirts with offensive language out in public and who sport around bumperstickers that say "f*** Bush"? Such class.

Of course, the pro-Kerry bumper stickers are sometimes worth a chuckle. I saw so many bizarre ones, like "Surfers for Kerry"...."Greens for Kerry"...."Plumbers for Kerry". What's that all about?


The funniest cars are those plastered from bumper to window, to body of the vehicle with the most vile, angry, and hateful conspiratorial bumperstickers against George Bush and Republicans in general. It's not a car, it's a moving billboard on wheels.

I found the following video segment from the popular show, Malcolm in the Middle. I thought it was hilarious when the one woman (who I think it would be reasonable to assume is a liberal) had on her car, "War is not the Answer", even as she engaged in senseless parking lot-rage violence.

I remember a time when I was on the freeway and some insane driver swerved in front of me without warning. Hanging from the rear window was the sign, "Caution: Baby on Board".





I found the video clip on Metacafe, having remembered this clip being e-mailed to me before...either that or I saw the actual episode on TV. What is bizarre, is reading through the comments section of the Metacafe video. Actually, most of the comments began flaming back and forth about "Stupid Americans". The few that did address the actual video, sometimes treated it as if it were real, and could not distinguish it as a TV comedy show. The flames that were defending Americans, were something along the lines of, "Quit stereotyping! Not all Americans are like Bush". Gee, thanks. And just as appalling was the spelling, from commenters who I am sure are Americans. Aaah...education in America...

I saw this one today:



You think this guy supports the troops? No...I think he's expressing his honesty, much the same as Joel Stein did three days ago.

I always love these "feel good" types:



Peace IS patriotic. That's why we went to war!!! Quit feeling like I'm attacking your patriotism all the time just because I think you are wrong..."methinks this car doth protest too much".

And to top off this post, I'd like to republish this from a post I made last week on a thread from DU:

I was leaving a grocery store once. It was really quiet there with no one in the parking lot and no store workers outside at all. There was a person— not in the handicapped area, not handicapped— just struggling with their groceries. I started to help, then saw the W sticker. I put the bag down and said “I’m sorry. Republicans don’t believe in helping people. Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps.” Then I walked off. They were stunned. Amazing what happends when their policies are shown to them on such a simple, personal level.
And there you have it folks! Enjoy a wonderful weekend...drive safe and avoid the road rage. Oh, and in case you like sporting bumper stickers yourself, might I offer a suggestion?

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Okay, the above comment was deleted by me. I found two typos and don't want to come across like the commentors you were talking about regarding the video!

It took a looooonnnnnnggggggggg time to play the video because I have dial-up, but I stuck with it to the bitter end! :)

It's obvious that the video is staged; how could anyone not know that? It's also obvious that stunt drivers were involved in the filming of it. It makes a very valid point and shows the absolute stupidity of road rage!

As to the bumper stickers, I don't normally pay any attention to them, except for the yellow ribbons on people's cars; I probably will now though, after having read your post.

Excellent post, both hillarious and disturbing. Good job! :)

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

My oldest daughter is in high school and the number of flaming liberal bumper stickers on the kids' cars is amazing! They tend to go the bumper-to-window route. Ah, the young. They will no doubt get worse (college) before they get better!

Friday, January 27, 2006 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I was almost a victim of actual road rage the other day. After I almost collided with anothwer car, the driver stopped his car directly in front of mine and got out of his car hollering at me. Fortunately, he left some room between his car and thwe curb so i just drove around his car. Then, he jumped back into his car and started chasing me down the hiway. Anyway, long story short, he gave up the chase when it became obvious to him that I was leading hum directly to the local police station.

He had no bumper stickers on his car.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

We don't have any bumper stickers. At election time, we put stickers inside the back windshield, but we've never committed to slap one on the bumper.

A funny one I noticed took a swipe at those "My child is an honor student at _____ school" stickers.

This one said:

"My kid is having sex with your honor student."

Yes, it's crass, but it gave me a chuckle. :)

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:30:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

That's hilarious! It reminds me of a Prager Show in which they were making fun of the self-esteem generation. Bumper stickers came up- the kind that you mention. Prager and callers were laughing over the fact that these type of parent-pride bumper stickers are given out to everyone, regardless!

Isn't there a scene in Meet the Fockers where the father-in-law or someone says, "I didn't know they handed out ribbons for 9th place?"

I haven't seen that movie, yet, so I don't know.

It's just a little funny to pass out awards simply for participating. Especially after a certain age.

Mark, people need to chill when they get behind the wheel. Their lives are not the only ones that they put in danger by driving recklessly, or being hot-headed. I'm glad you did the smart thing. He's lucky you weren't a psycho, turning your vehicle into a weapon and flattening him when he got out of his car.

It's so stupid when people engage in senseless brawls at the local pub. You have no idea who it is you are picking on, and have a good chance of biting off more than you can chew.

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Gayle,

You could click on the metacafe link, where I originally got the video from. Maybe that will stream better?

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:38:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Man oh man am I glad I moved from Cali long ago. Here in good 'Ol Okiehoma (Red State) we only get an occasional little Kerry sticker somewhere on the vehicle, but no Bush bashing crap. But when I do go visit my parents this summer who still live in Cali I will be pulling my hair out!
By the way Word, do you ride around with a dashcam?

Friday, January 27, 2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Sparky, I was laughing out load watching that video!! I hate to say this, but something similar to that actually happened to me in the parking lot of my kid's school. It didn't escalate that far, but I could easier envision it after watching that!! Thanks for the laugh!!

Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:39:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Marie, I don't; but I do always have my digital camera on hand, wherever I go.

Pamela...don't let the video give you any wrong ideas! I could just see you getting scrappy with some liberal mom- especially if she trashes the troops!

Yes, Deb...people sport the darn'dest things!

Saturday, January 28, 2006 7:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last fall I spotted a parked car and had to photo and post. Three bumper stickers were on the car. On the far left was a Kerry/Edwards sticker. In the middle was a "Agnostics for Kerry" sticker and on the right was "Yes, I found Religion, I found it lacking." I thought it was rather sad.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:32:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I saw a great bumpersticker today.

"GUN CONTROL
means hitting your target."

It's all your fault, Word, I keep looking for bumperstickers now! Here's another one:

"No Farm-No Food"

Saturday, January 28, 2006 5:54:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

HaHa, No Foolin, now I am looking at all the bumper stickers on all the cars, I am addicted now thank's Word lol.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Hey Word, Monica (Grizzly Mama) just informed me that there's this nifty little question mark next to the word "comment" in the Haloscan comment box. Click on it...you'll have a snicker! I did, I'm just so observant!

Saturday, January 28, 2006 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Hey there, Wordsmith. How are you? Great post. If only the Left realized what we mean is to not have the gov't do everything for us, but let us help each other. I am so sick of the gov't.

We could have had Katrina taken care off if there were no gov't. We would have been the Calvary! There is much we will never lay claim to, because we are not like that. Oh well...maybe the Left does this...?

Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Rosemary Welch said...

Pardon me, "maybe the Left does know this...?"

Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I love funny bumper stickers, no matter what ideology spawns them. That Frodo failed sticker is hilarious!

I remember the first time I ever saw that little car magnet of the fish with legs that said, "Darwin". I howled! That was clever! I can appreciate cleverness.

I also confess to being a little annoyed by some of them, particularly the ones that bash Christianity as if somehow it is an evil religion

And it saddens me when I see bumper stickers promoting new age secular humanism and witchcraft. Those people are so misguided, I feel for them.

But overall, I get a kick out of bumper stickers. My favorite one is the old classic, "Visualize whirled peas".

I don't have any on my car at all, nor will I ever have any. I just don't want to uglify my car.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:15:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Mark, I feel the same. Plus, I'd rather not have my car get keyed, if I can help it. Someone stuck gum in the cardoor keyhole, once.

I only had a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on the dash and side window a week before the Election. Took it down after a few days of gloating, post-Election.

I once had a bumper sticker when I was in high school that said, "Love [ie. heart]NY? Then take I10E..." something like that. One day some crazy dude was screaming alongside me, coming close to trying to run me off. I didn't know how to respond, then. It was crazy. And all I can attribute it to, is the bumper sticker. 98% certain of it. I had nothing against New York. I just thought it was funny (this was back when the "I heart NY" t-shirts and merchandising was still fresh and new).

Anna, I saw a great gun control bumper sticker too; but I can't remember what it was. All I know is that I was laughing quite a bit.

The anti-Bush ones are just...funny in a strange and bizarre way.

I'm sure the bumper sticker Joel Stein had in mind when he mentioned it in his article is the kind that says "Support the troops. Bring them home."

Sunday, January 29, 2006 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

What irritates me is how self-righteous the left is. Sure, we had bumper stickers attacking Clinton, but we didn't claim to speak for all that's good, true, right and just in the world! Methinks liberals take themselves too seriously...

Monday, January 30, 2006 4:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved