Saturday, February 04, 2006

She's More than "Just a Woman".....To Me.

I think I probably first came across Lores Rizkalla on her old blog, by way of Mark. I'm sure that's the case, because back then, I didn't know anyone and had zero blogging buddies. Except for Mark.

I liked Lores' thoughts on life, because she posts with class. She never engages in downright mean-spiritedness. I suppose "conservatism with class" best describes her, from my perspective.

I also found out after a couple of weeks or so, that she is a regular listener and caller of the Sean Hannity Show. I've subsequently heard her call in to Hugh Hewitt.

Toward the end of last year, she abandoned us blogspotters for her own dot-org web-blog. (I hear "The Jeffersons" theme song running through my head even as I type). And now she's hitting the bigtime:

Beginning this Sunday at the stroke of 6 minutes past midnight, will be the debut of Just a Woman on my favorite talk radio station, KRLA 870. Several heavy hitters are on that station.

I've got a "It's a small world" story to tell...


Sometime toward the end of last year....might have been around November or the time of Katrina, I'm up in the Valley (Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks area in Greater Los Angeles) helping out my friend with her recreational gymnastics program, as I always do on Wednesdays. I hate it there. Prehistoric gymnastics equipment to drag out and put back away inside a senior center. I'm spoiled by my regular work at a real gymnastics facility/club, with a competitive program. Plus, it's closer to my regular romping grounds, whereas to get to the Valley through LA traffic is just plain out of my way. I hate it.

But Kerri's my friend, and so I help her out with her program. She's a hard worker, and devout Christian. She often talks of joining my Sunday morning adult gymnastics class, as she complains about how out of shape she is; but she won't sacrifice her time in church for her time in the gym.

Kerri is also a staunch conservative Republican. So occasionally, we engage in political opining, usually whining about the Democrats or laughing at their latest antics; and this in front of a liberal, government union-infested environment (I was so bent out of shape when I found out they were contributing union dues to Howard Dean's Presidential campaign).

So anyway, sometime toward the end of last year....maybe around November or the time of the Katrina (Kerri's from New Orleans, btw), I don't know what led into this, but Kerri mentioned how I need to meet her friend from church, who has her own blog. Bright and beautiful was how Kerri described her. Completely going on about this woman's intelligence and knowledge of politics. She said the two of us would totally hit it off on politics, and that I need to meet Lores. SHE SAID WHAT?!? Did I hear that right? We had been putting away equipment, and I stopped dead in my tracks. Now I don't know too many women by the name of "Lores"....in fact, Lores Rizkalla is my first "Lores" I know of. So I asked Kerri, "What's the name of her blog?". Kerri's memory stammered, but not for long as shortly after I asked the question, I stated it with confidence: "Just a Woman!" Kerri's eyes lit up, and she said, "Yes! That's it!". I told Kerri that I've been posting with her for a while now. Small world ain't it?

I missed my chance to see "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" with Kerri's family; and I think friends from her Church, including Lores, were seeing it. Kerri said she had a ticket for me and that Lores would be there. That was tempting, but I already had plans to see the movie( again) at another theater with some kids I was entertaining. I know Lores had already seen it as well, because I read her review on it.

I hope I do have another chance to meet her. I did get to meet her briefly end of last year, as she came by the gym to pick up one of our gymnasts (who also goes to their church). Since I was in the middle of teaching, I couldn't really break away from class; other than to say a brief hi and give her a hug like a person who I know is a friend, but whom I had never met. Weird, huh?

Good luck with your venture into radio, Lores! You are in good company with the special forces of talk radio: Ingraham, Prager, Medved, and of course the Jack Bauer of the blogosphere, Hugh Hewitt.

Work starts early in the mornings for me on Mondays, but I will tune in as often as I can because you are.....Just a Woman.

12am-2am, every Monday morning. (You can listen to it streamed from the KRLA website).

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

Very, very cool story!!!

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I checked out her blog and you are right. It is great!!!

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks for taking the time to read, and for visiting her blog. I didn't mean for this post to be so lengthy!

Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Smithy, I am so jealous. LOL! I'd like to meet Lores, too. She and her blog mean a lot to me. I have already bookmarked the website to KRLA, and listen to Laura Ingraham on it before I go to work in the mornings. If my son is hogging the computer on Sunday, I am going to listen to her show. I think it's great she is doing so well.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved