Tuesday, May 02, 2006

United 93

I read this at Radioblogger:
I realize the media over the last couple of weeks has done its darndest to dampen the opening of the movie by saying it's too soon to see images like this. I'm really hoping that word of mouth will give this weekend's tedid opening a solid run. We owe it to the people and families on United 93 to remember and honor their service during wartime, since they were the first ones to take up arms in the Global War On Terror.


Knowing United 93 was #2 at the box office, behind some other movie I never even heard of, I was heartened by Michael Medved reporting that that other movie opened in about twice as many theaters, as United 93 did. In his calculations, United 93 was much more successful over the weekend, when comparing the number of screens each movie was shown on.

I haven't researched further into, it, as it's not high on my radar screen; but while perusing Radioblogger for Hewitt nuggets, I came across the post on United 93, and thought I'd make mention of what I heard on Monday's Michael Medved.

Oh, and of course this by David Beamer should be a must read.

I'm working on seeing the movie with one of my friends, btw.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I saw it. I heard that 10% of the box office take on only the first weekend was going to go to building a memorial. Si I thoght, if I'm going to see it, I want to help contribute to the memorial.

I am glad I did see it. I think all Americans should see it to remind them of the horror of that day. Americans need to be reminded, daily, that freedom is never free and must be fought for.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:41:00 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Americans will go whole hog for crap like RV, but the strong second place finish on few screens was heartening for this important flick .. I too am glad I saw it even though I found the final act, knowing full well how it would end, very, very hard to watch

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 3:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Just an update:

United 93 is now #1 at the box office.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I was going to post what Mary said.

I purposely went the first weekend to shove it in the MSM's face. It is completely ridiculous to say its too soon. If the family members can see it, so can we. And in my opinion we've waited too long.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved