Saturday, March 10, 2007

When California Runs Red...


My favorite radio station is KRLA 870. I've been listening to them since at least, 2004. Laura Ingraham, Dennis Prager, Michael Medved, and Hugh Hewitt being my primary listens. It was through KRLA, that I learned about an event they helped sponsor here in Los Angeles, along with Move America Forward.

On Friday at noon, in Griffith Park, blue state California was awash in red, white, and blue. The National Support Our Troops Tour caravan made a stop, as part of its journey to Washington D.C. for the March 17th protests (which includes The Gathering of the Eagles).

I thought I'd play "citizen-photo-journalist-for-a-day", and share pictures and video clips that I took with my digital camera.

Here's what some of my fellow Americans traveled in:


I'm so used to seeing moonbat mobiles on the streets of California, that this is an extremely rare sight around these parts.

I dare any flag-burning protestor to try setting a match to this flag

I see a message there for Jihad Jane....do you?

Seriously....don't frakkin' piss these guys off.



You don't see signs like this very often around these parts. It garnered a round of cheers.


I forgot to ask this man his name; but he told me he printed out this t-shirt at 3 in the morning.








Debra Argel, gold star mom, takes the podium first:



Second up was blue star mom, Deborah Johns:




And finally, Mark Crowley, a gold star dad:



Debra Argel Bastian comforts a supporter, and gives him a card with a picture of her son on it.


Gold Star Dad, Mark Crowley was a pissed off firecracker. This photo was taken moments before I got to shake his hand and have a few words with him. I missed the beginnings of a good rant, but caught the rest in this clip here:



I love this photo! Debbie Johns is a great voice for the pro-troop/pro-victory movement. I listened to her give media interviews when the caravan first arrived. And she was a great speaker at the podium, as well. You can listen to more of her by visiting this post at Marie's Two Cents.

Even though the rally was not huge in numbers, it was huge in spirit; and unlike a big event rally, both gold star parents and blue star mom were very approachable. I find their service to our nation, their personal sacrifices, deeply moving and inspiring. They are highly motivated in giving so much time and energy to this whirlwind tour and to the ideals and idealism of a noble nation: the United States of America. And they are absolutely faithful and loving toward the men and women who do everything to defend our country.





More photos that I took.


Cross-posted at Flopping Aces.

Also blogging:
A Soldier's Perspective
Gazing at the Flag
Yankeemom

Labels: , , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Amazing to be able to capture video clips with a digital camera....doesn't hurt to have a 4 GB memory card, either.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:28:00 AM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

It's always a good day when you can spend it with REAL Americans who understand the cost of freedom and appreciate it.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:46:00 AM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

These are great pictures - thank you so much for posting them up here for us to see.

I am so glad that there are people to come out in opposition to the lefty whackos this time around. I hope that we are so big that we cannot be ignored.

I have to link to this. Probably after work tonight...

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Wordsmith!!! I'm so glad you were able to get the speakers on video.
Dang ~ I forgot my camera could do that...

Linking to you ~

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Wow!! You did an awesome job on this and I'm so jealous that I didn't get to come. Very cool!!! You've entered the big time now, a blogger covering an event live!!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Wordsmith, it was so good to see conservatives finally coming together like this that I cried for joy! Thank you so much for posting this. I will link this to tomorrow's post.

I really enjoyed the video's and cheered out loud at Mark Crowley's passion! We are angry and he especially gave voice to my sentiments and Walter's as well.

I don't think anyone is going to mess with those flags! LOL!

I also think this is your best post ever! Bless you! :)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Stuff wordsmith! Gotta love those muscle cars, especially when they're painted red, white and blue! Thanks for sharing!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:45:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

mike,

It such a rare treat for me in so many ways. I know that there are other KRLA-listening conservatives out there; but it's like spotting a drop of red in a sea of blue. I don't think conservatives are THAT rare; but they certainly don't advertise their political leanings the way liberals do. So many people talk bad about the President and the dangers of global warming, publically, all the time. If you speak badly about President Bush, you're almost assured that you will get a positive to neutral reaction.

monica,

I hope you and city troll make a lot of noise in DC.

yankeemom,

It was so easy to be up close. Mark Crowley had a good exchange with someone just before I turned the video on him. When I shook his hand and thanked him and his son, you could clearly see in his eyes and manner how much he lives with the loss of his son Kyle everyday. How much it affected him, at that moment. God bless him!

dee,

I blogged photos of a moonbat demonstration in downtown Los Angeles, a while back. (I know, not quite the same feeling). I just happened to be by City Hall, when I heard a lot of commotion. That's when I remembered that The World Can't Wait was having a demonstration over that particular weekend. So I grabbed my camera from the car and headed over to the noise.

You know...in the future, I should try and interview some of the people there, and ask if they don't mind being on video. I only mentioned to one person, to Google "sparks from the anvil". It would have been nice to plug my blog. I'm sure if I mentioned Flopping Aces, that would ring familiarity with any blog reader.

I also think this is your best post ever! Bless you! :)

"Ever"?!?! Lol. I'm glad you and Walt enjoyed it, gayle.

terri,

Thanks for stopping by. The muscle car sure was something. There were other patriotic stuff written on it, that I didn't get.

Has anyone noticed how everyone seems to have their names/handles written in lowercase.....?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Yes, Wordsmith. I've noticed that. It's weird!

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I'll just chalk it up as a sign of humility from my conservative friends.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Gail A. said...

Wow I was there too! Amazing that our pictures are almost the exact same ones!

I'm not sure if you talked to the lady in the red van. She was telling me that next Saturday she will be on the corner of Hollywood & Highland, with her flags. There is going to be an answer protest walk. She was asking for people to come with flags to oppose them. Let me know if you want info...Gail

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

For those interested, Gail's photos are linked through my link to CJ's post; but if you're too lazy about it, just go here.

gail (yet another lowercased name!),

What time is the event at? I doubt I'll be able to go to that one, as I work from 9:30 to 2:30pm; and worse, yet, I have committed on to working a birthday party at the gym, and won't be out until 5:30pm. I hope you cover the event, though. Let me know any other details, too.

You can actually make me out in a couple of your photos, btw.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger Gail A. said...

I didn't see myself in any of your pictures...BUT I do walk by when Mark Crowley was talking in your video of him :)

She is asking people to be there about 9:00 I believe that there march is scheduled to start at 12:00. I am planning to be there & I'll definitely take my camera.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great coverage!
Thank you@

Monday, March 12, 2007 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

Great report and wonderful pics and video. Trye Americans rally and support in the spirit of freedom. Thanks Wordsmith for posting this it is a very welcome sight !

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I had to work that day.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

That is so cool, Smithy. Perhaps ypou should change your blogs name to "The Supporter".

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

gail,

Do let me know if you post photos up.

flag gazer, ken, and tyree,

You're welcome!

mark,

That's an awful idea.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger purple jesus said...

What a sad group of pathetic god fearing redneck morons.

why aren't you fools over in iraq since you claim to be so supportive! Or better yet you could all go to Walter Reed and help clean up the mold and cockroaches. Oh right you only claim to support the troops from the safety of your redneck biker rallys

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:35:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

why aren't you fools over in iraq since you claim to be so supportive!

Why weren't you a human shield since you love Saddam and his Baathist supporters?

Read my post on chickenhawks, so you won't look so ignorant next time. I know, I know....it's challenging. But you can do it!

Or better yet you could all go to Walter Reed and help clean up the mold and cockroaches.

Oh? You mean those Code Pink bozos? Is that you standing out there with them, pj?

Oh right you only claim to support the troops from the safety of your redneck biker rallys

And if you were standing in front of those war veterans spewing your crap, you'd have your ass kicked up between your shoulder blades.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved