Thursday, April 19, 2007

Curse of the "Lunar" Month?

April appears to be a lunar month for lunacy. Wars that started/ended in April include:
  • The American Revolution (Started with Paul Revere's Ride: April 18-19 April 1775)
  • The American Civil War (Started April, 1861, ended April, 1865, thus "Across Five Aprils")
  • The Bosnian War began in the first days of April, 1992
  • The Rwandan Genocide began in April, 1994
  • The Armenian Genocide began in April 24, 1914
Other events that have occurred in the month of April include:
  • President Abraham Lincoln's assassination (April 14, 1865)
  • The Frank Slide (April 29, 1903)
  • The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake (April 18, 1906)
  • The sinking of the RMS Titanic (April 14-15 April 1912)
  • The Armenian Genocide (April 24, 1915)
  • Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination (April 4, 1968)
  • Super Tornado Outbreak (April 3-4, 1974)
  • Chernobyl nuclear accident (April 26, 1986)
  • The 1992 Los Angeles Riots after the Rodney King verdict (April 29, 1992)
  • The bloody end to the Branch Davidian siege in Waco, Texas (April 19, 1993)
  • The Oklahoma City Bombing (April 19, 1995)
  • In Lebanon, at least 106 Lebanese civilians are killed when the Israel Defense Forces shell the UN compound at Qana (see Qana Massacre). (April 18, 1996)
  • The Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, Australia (April 28, 1996)
  • The Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Colorado (April 20, 1999)
  • The 2007 Virginia Tech shooting in Blacksburg, Virginia (April 16, 2007).
To this list, I'd like to add the following dates:

  • April 15 (need I say more? Of course, this year, it's the 17th...and still in April)
  • April 10 and April 13: The birthdates of two ex-girlfriends- one of whom is severely bipolar; both of whom are severely afflicted with Bush derangement syndrome, and are unabashedly liberal.
I tried.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

You know, its weird because I was just thinking about this. Columbine also happened in April and a very close friend of mine committed suicide in April. I don't know what to think.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Looks like April is a good month to hunker down in, Wordsmith.

You need a nice conservative girlfriend, but that may be a bit hard to find in California. We have plenty of them in my part of Texas. What are you waiting for? :)

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Ooops. I forgot. You're waiting to join the military. Well, I'll bet you don't run into to many liberal women in the military. :)

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the items that list missed and may directly or indirectly be related to one or two of the occurences is April 19th, that is the day Adolf Hitler was hatched and if I'm not mistaken that had something to do with the Oklahoma bombing in Timothy McVeigh's mind and I think I remember reading something about the Columbine idiots making reference to it too.

I used to take my pickup to this shop for saftey and emmission inspection and they were also very good at front end alignments. The shop was owned by three German brothers and one day I came in while they were talking about Der Fuher's birthday and they quickly went onto some other subject and were embarrassed that I heard a part of their conversation. I told them it was Ok to talk about it in front of me and they seemed OK with it. They were actually discussing how these horrible events were actually taking place in relation to such a notorious event as Hitler's hatchday.

Friday, April 20, 2007 8:01:00 AM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Ah yes, Waco. Bill Clinton's crowning acheivement.

It took less time for our Troops to take Baghdad than it did for Janet Reno to take Waco, Texas.

I hope you learned a lesson from getting mixed up with Liberal girls Word lol

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Glad to see you haven't been kidnapped by aliens Deputy Smith.

But I thought you might want to know that after taking your advice and turning off comment moderation every Ku Klux Klan and Communist in nearby cyberspace has descended on Mike'S America.

Talk about a "lunar" month. This bunch gives new meaning to the word moonbat.

Friday, April 20, 2007 5:45:00 PM  
Blogger blank said...

April -- It is a good month, it is just bad people do bad things in the spring.

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:08:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Dee, that's terrible. Of course, I'm not actually superstitious about April. I can think of positive dates for this month, too.

gayle, you are right about the military reasoning, and it has made me uneasy about pursuing any relationship until I know where my near future is headed.

jennifer,

Thanks for the reminder about Hitler.

marie,

I simply like girls, period. (^_^)


mike,

I have been a bad boy, and have spent little time making my rounds. Mostly trying to keep my blog afloat, and posting on a message board (embroiled in debating gun control with some Brits).

Sorry about your moonbat problems. I have a Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend, so time is limited. Otherwise I'd be over there in a heartbeat to skewer me some moonbats. I still think discarding comment moderation is a blessing.

roxie,

Good to hear from you. Springtime brings out the best and the worst.

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I just saw something the other day about either suicide or homicide rates in April. I can't for the life of me remember what it was now and I can't find it either.

I'm an April baby - that could be good OR bad depending on who you're talking to! ;-)

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

P.S. I've got a LOOOOONNNNGGGG winded anti-war protester posting 800 plus word replies and I am being NICE!

You told me I was being too rough on these people!

But it is killing me! You better come over so I can go back to being a nasty curmudgeon.

http://haloscan.com/comments/hiltonhead/7487858849775865360/#244620

Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

monica,

I have many great friends, born in April. Not just ex-girlfriends.

mike,

You're spinning what I said! Typical conservative!

I'm busy this weekend, but I'll take a peek. Just cut-and-paste generic responses from previous posts when replying to moonbats you don't care to waste time with.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Dude, not only was I born in April... I'm from California. Maybe the two things cancel each other out. Or maybe I'm just good at hiding my insanity. :)

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved