Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"Imus be a racist, too...."

...Because I don't give a damn!



(You gotta click on the above cartoon)









I'm not that familiar with shock-jock, Don Imus. I caught him briefly on MSNBC, before, and he struck me as a bore. And a jerk. There seemed to be long gaps of silence, and that's no way to run a radio show; so I have no clue how he got his success. From what I've heard, his one comment about "nappy-headed hos" is just another day in the life of a crass, scowl-faced radio shock jock. So why the selective indignation? I could care less if he remains on the air or off, because I don't listen to him.

What he said, doesn't matter to me. How the race-hustlers and the easily-offended are responding to it, does matter to me.


On my drive home, I was listening to Dennis Miller (who has replaced the unrelenting negativity of ranting-angry-as-hell-conservative moonbat Michael Savage in the timeslot on KRLA870- thank God!). One of the most astute observation I've heard came from his guest, who I think is John McWhorter, of the Manhattan Institute; although I didn't catch the full name. He mentioned that decades ago, standing up to the racial slur of Don Imus might have been a way to fight for your dignity; but today, we are in a different place; and retaining one's dignity (he, speaking as a black American) in this day and age, means to just let Imus' words not have power over oneself. He said it so well, I wish I could find an audiofile, and confirmation of who Miller's guest was.

In the New York Daily, McWhorter writes:
the quest for an America where no one ever makes passing observations that are less than respectful of minority groups is futile. And why are so many of us so obsessed with chasing that rainbow anyway? The truth is that black people who go to pieces whenever anyone says a little something are revealing that they are not too sure about themselves.

Sticks and stones...

*UPDATE* Okay, I looked up The Dennis Miller Show. You can actually download his programs. I'll type out a transcript of the part that I liked (and yes, I was right: John McWhorter was his guest) and post it here. Or, just listen/download it.

Here's my partial transcript:

McW: "It was a very tacky thing to say; but the idea that somehow this was a major event in the progress of American society is absolutely ridiculous. I, as a black person, really don't care what that man said on his radio show for a few seconds, sometime; and the reason I don't care is because I like myself and he can't hurt my feelings and I'm busy; and as far as I'm concerned that's how any black person should feel; and any black person who doesn't feel that way, frankly, should...and there are so many real problems in the black community, that for the big deal- for the big news cycle- to be some colorful thing that some radio host- even a popular radio host- said, shows that people are more interested in a show than in doing hard work.

DM: Yeah, you know John, my only feeling on this is, that I'm a believer that the law of turns in history are long runs for people brought into this country as slaves I do think it's a...I don't think it's a forever turn, but I think it's a pretty long turn and I think one of the things that might be the hardest to master is a certain insouciance about something that stupid; do you concur with that, that there might be members of the community that are just still gob-smacked that somebody could utter something that primitive?

McW: That is a very good way of putting it. What people don't realize is that there are different ways of having dignity. And say 40 years ago, there was something very dignified about standing down the kinds of people who would say or do really tacky things; and when you did that, what you were doing was standing down 350 years of bs. But now that it's a completely different place, now that anything anybody says or along the lines of what Imus now kind of said as a joke- you're almost basically making fun of the idea that anybody would actually say it by saying it- now that we've gotten to that point, dignity is being able to take a joke; it's being able to be yourself whether or not something somebody said was...offensive or whether it was the best way that they could have put it, because: Life is never perfect! Basically, I have been saying that we see one of these things lately- especially with YouTube...and broadband...

DM: Yes, monthly!

McW: and it never changes; it's not as if all the noise we're gonna make now is going to stop somebody six weeks from now from saying something else that's a little bit tacky, and then we're just going to do the same thing. I think it's time to get over the fact that life isn't perfect.

DM: Yes, I look sometimes at the feminist movement and I see these women who are still, like, living in a Virginia Slims magazine ad from Look Magazine or something and I want to say, "You know, the next step here, honey, is the reaqcuisition of the humor gene", and I really think that, uh, if the black community now wants to have this quintessential revenge on somebody like Don Imus, that if you want to think about it that hard, I would recommend a "big-yawn-I'm-so-bored-with-guys-like-you-excuse-me-if-I-don't-care".

McW: That is exactly it. It's interesting- if I had a daughter- you know it's not only a black thing; there's also a feminist insult involved in "nappy-headed hos"- if I had a daughter who's playing on a basketball team....in a way, I would almost want her to confront the fact that there are always going to be people saying things like that, on the radio or in real life. Because it would show her that, "Yeah, somebody's going to say something like that; and the world will keep spinning, and you are the same person that you are; and that there are real problems in your life and the world that deserves your attention, other than the way somebody put something for a few seconds, sometime.


Also blogging, to be updated:
Allen Estrin
Always on Watch Two
Bloviating Zeppelin1, 2
Flopping Aces
Freedom Eden 1, 2, 3 (too numerous to list)
Further Adventures of Indigo Red
Marie's Two Cents
Mike's America
Michael Medved
My Republican Blog
Patriotic Mom
The Chatterbox Chronicles

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

This is blown way out of preportion and has no business be in the headlines much less dominating the news. I agree WHO CARES!!!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Why is this national news?! Why are politicians like Obama "supposed" to issue statements, addressing it? Why?!

Why are members of the Rutger basketball teams making ridiculous comments like "This has scarred me for life"? Good grief and for goodness sakes! Grow some thicker skin!!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

A caller to Rush Limbaugh mentioned McWhorter too:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_041007/content/01125111.guest.html

And the woman repeated, in many variants, the same message that she refuses to give Imus or any other person the power to offend her with stupid words.

When you mobilize the race victims over something like this you validate the nonsense that a white person has that power over you to begin with.

It's a shame that perspective doesn't get more attention.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Indigo Red said...

Don Imus called the Rutger U. womens b-ball team "nappy-headed hos", and he had to apologize to the nappy-headed pimp, Al Sharpton. Now that's digusting. Al Sharpton had as much to do with this case as he did the Tawana Brawley case. At least this time, Sharpton had the offence on tape.

Don Imus is a pathetic old fart with a face made for radio, as they say in the radio biz. I first heard him when I was attending Cal State, Sacramento in the 1970's. He got his start there. He was deplorable then and he never improved. Neither is he funny. If it wasn't for the powerful politicians and media types, Imus would have been off the air years ago.

Whatever happens in the Rutgers affair, we would all be better of without this jerk.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I agree, Wordsmith. Everyone seems so anxious to jump on the "poor little me, I'm a victim" bandwagon!

I was listening to Rush yesterday and a black lady called in. I'm not quoting her verbatim but the gist of what she said was this:

"If my daughter had been on that team she would not have gone to that press conference." When Rush asked what if the school had demanded she attend, she answered "It doesn't matter. she would not have attended!" She went on to say that she didn't raise her children to be victims, and that no one's happiness or self esteem should be on such flimsy ground. That it shouldn't matter what someone calls you on the radio or off. She's right, of course.

That the Rutger's girl's basketball team declared that this messed up their victory celebration is ridiculous! They probably didn't know who Imus was or even what he said, until the press got their money-grubbing mitts on it and spread it way out of proportion.

This doesn't mean I'm an Imus fan. I never heard of him until this piece-of-trash story broke. I don't agree with what he said but he had the right to say it. If he doesn't, then Sharpton, Jackson, Rosie, Pelosi, Reid, Murtha, all those people should be either fired or fined or both, and the music industry should fire every single rapper who make millions calling women "Ho's."

Just my two cents.

PS: Your seven-dwarfs cartoon has been snagged. HO! HO! HO! :)

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Where are the Racist Pimps, Sharpton, Jackson et al, on the subject of the lying bitch Crystal Gail Mangum?

Conspicuous Silence, eh?

Of course.

BZ

Thursday, April 12, 2007 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

BTW Wordsmith, one of the players said that this has "scarred her for life!" LOL! Talk about a drama queen. If this scarred her for life I hope she never has any real adversity in her life, like a broken fingernail. She'll have a total meltdown. :)

Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:21:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

I LOVE what Jason Whitlock said. That guy is right on the money. Heavens knows it's time for Jackson and Sharpton to go.
They make every single situation that involves race 100 times worse than it ever was. And they are profiting off thier own race by doing so.

What is more scary than those two (I know hard to believe) are the new Black Panthers. I have watched them for the last couple of night's now on O'Reilly and Hannity and Colmbs, and they are even more out of control than Sharpton and Jackson.

So Michelle Malkin was hosting The Factor for O'Reilly lastnight and tonight, but lastnight she had it out "I'm sayin" with the leader of the New Black Panthers, Malik Shabazz I think was his name, and he calls her a WHORE on National TV!!! I have a link to the video on my page.

Where is the OUTRAGE for this?? Where are Jesse and Al on this one? And not a peep on ANY news or talk shows that I have heard or read about today.

Why?

Friday, April 13, 2007 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

marie,

I missed Hannity and Colmes the last couple of nights; but caught it when they had Laura Ingraham, Larry Elder, and I forget who. Let me do a search...ah, Leo Terrell. That dude was seriously going to blow a gasket. It was comical!

And the lefty blogs couldn't tell that Ingraham was joking around. They are spinning with giddiness that she "stormed off" the set.

I heard on Michael Medved today, that how this story broke, began with Media Matters; then after a couple of nights, it got to some national black journalist association. And all they asked for and wanted was an apology. That is all. I think Medved mentioned this was in a WSJ piece.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Oh, here's a video link to the Hannity & Colmes I saw.

Friday, April 13, 2007 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Great post!! Love the cartoons.

I would be in HEAVEN if Dennis Miller were to replace Michael Savage on my radio station. I despise Savage with a passion and I looooooooove Dennis Miller.

As for Imus I feel the same way. I never listened to him but the guy filling in for Rush on Friday mentioned that his California radio show gets more listeners than Imus's national show got. And what I have heard about him he does sound like a liberal jerk. But I defend his right to free speech just like I do anyone else's.

I too wonder what was the actual cause of his demise. I think it may have been catering to Sharpton. Sharpton has him on his show only to not accept his apology. Why did he even bother then?

The bottom line is if Imus can get fired for this then so should Howard Stern, most comedians and most rap musicians. I don't care for any of them or Imus but conservatives seem to be much more willing to allow free speech than liberals do.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imus cannot make a racist comment, as he is in fact a racist..I checked with David Duke, Robert Bird and the late Lester Matt, all agree. The American way,.. We support pointed headed little trools who sit in Ivory Towers, and sling dog dropping upon the heads of the Great Unwashed,..PLEASE SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders Will Itself Be Forgotten...Pray for Peace...View the YouTube Post "Remember Me", produced by a wonderful ,Sweet, and Loving, 15 year old girl....That folks is why we at Gathering Of Eages. org., where in Washington DC on March 17 07, 30,000 strong, to honor there name, respect those who now serve, and pray for the future of our great nation. May God Bless Each and Everyone of us , regardless of your views on the war.If you view Rember Me and feel nothing in your heart I pray for you daily. A Proud Member Of Gathering of Eagles, Please visit with us at our web site.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved