Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Veterans Day Footnote

I received this in an e-mail from a friend. I received her permission to reprint it here. I thought the story was worth sharing with all:

Dear Friends and Family -

Some of you have heard my tale of a chance encounter with Congressional of Honor recipient - James A. Taylor of Trinity California. I wanted to share it again - or for the first time - in honor of Veterans Day (which I thought was celebrated today - not Friday). So here we go a couple of days late - but still important and heartfelt.

Earlier this year I was on a business trip in Tampa with my assistant Heidi. At the end of a very long day we were riding the elevator up to our hotel rooms to relax and enjoy room service. We shared the elevator with two quiet gentlemen. While riding up to different floors - I noticed that the younger of the two wore a shirt with an ornate military-style emblem. At first I just glanced and then looked away - but then I decided to 'connect' and asked him if he had served. He said yes, but with no further comment. So, I said, 'Where?" After a VERY LENGTHY list in response, I was at a loss of what to say. So, after a long pause I reached out my hand to him and said thank you.

After we left the elevator and started down the hall to our rooms - the other - older gentleman followed us a few steps and called out that they would like us to come back as they had something to give me. After careful hesitation we returned - and the first gentleman reached out and placed a medal in my hand. I looked down and saw that it was his Commemorative Medal of Honor. Virtually speechless, I told him I could not take it - but he strongly insisted. He said I was the first civilian to ever thank him. He served in Vietnam - his name is James A. Taylor. Here is the link to his award bio.

I carry his medal with me every day. A reminder to always care, appreciate and say thank you to those who have done so much for us.

Love to you all,
Deb

1 Comments:

Blogger devildog6771 said...

A sad, but truly beautiful story.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved