Friday, August 04, 2006

Life is as good as you make it

In light of Angel's post on optimism, this story comes to mind:

Each day on a construction site, when the lunch whistle would blow, Sam, would open up his lunch pail and exclaim, "God bless it! Peanut butter and jelly sandwich again?! I HATE peanut butter and jelly sandwich!"

This outburst went on day after day; and as weeks passed, Sam's coworkers grew irritated by his irrational behavior. Until finally one of them went up to him and said, "well, fer crissakes, Sam....if you hate peanut butter and jelly so much, why don't you have your ol' lady make you something different?"

"My 'old lady'?! What do you mean 'My old lady'? I'm not married....I make my own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."

The story is from memory, recited and paraphrased from Dan Millman's
"Way of the Peaceful Warrior", read 20 years ago.

So, you see, folks: the moral of the story is that we each make our own sandwiches in life. Life is as good as you make it....we dig our own graves....we reap what we sow....etc.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Dang Wordsmith... that made me want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Okay... Okay! I'll go fix it!

Saturday, August 05, 2006 2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Funny, WS.

The moral of the story:

Quit whining, make a ham and swiss, or shut up!

I know I need to heed that advice. There's no use complaining about things that you have the power to change.

Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

skye,

I insist that you do.

gayle and Mary...hope you are enjoying your sandwiches!

Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved