Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Parable for Thanksgiving


The Purse of Gold
A Jewish Folktale

A beggar found a leather purse that someone had dropped in the marketplace. Opening it, he discovered that it contained 100 pieces of gold. Then he heard a merchant shout, "A reward! A reward to the one who finds my leather purse!"

Being an honest man, the beggar came forward and handed the purse to the merchant saying, "Here is your purse. May I have the reward now?"

"Reward?" scoffed the merchant, greedily counting his gold. "Why the purse I dropped had 200 pieces of gold in it. You've already stolen more than the reward! Go away or I'll tell the police."

"I'm an honest man," said the beggar defiantly. "Let us take this matter to the court."

In court the judge patiently listened to both sides of the story and said, "I believe you both. Justice is possible! Merchant, you stated that the purse you lost contained 200 pieces of gold. Well, that's a considerable cost. But, the purse this beggar found had only 100 pieces of gold. Therefore, it couldn't be the one you lost."

And, with that, the judge gave the purse and all the gold to the beggar.

Now go make your stomach into a cemetary for some poor turkey; just don't be too greedy with the gravy, and have yourself a Happy Thanksgiving!

15 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hey Word..happy holidays!..oh gravy..I knew I forgot something!..lol

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger atheling2 said...

That judge must have been Solomon!

Happy Turkey Day and God Bless America!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

What is this vicious personal attack on gravy all about?

I demand a congressional investigation to find the source of these disparging sauce-mongers!

I plan on making a mountain of mash potatoes and a lake of gravy to float my turkey on!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Now go make your stomach into a cemetary for some poor turkey...

That's my plan.

You do the same, Wordsmith, and enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:40:00 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Great story. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Sparky.

I second Mike's call for a congression investigation into this slanderous, and saucy allegation.

Enjoy the day!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wondrous Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger Old Soldier said...

Too late; I did the gravy thing to my palate's immense pleasure. Besides, I expect I'll work off every ounce in the next two days. Hope your day was great and also refreshing.

God Bless,

Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, Word. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it... I didn't enjoy dinner at all! I couldn't taste anything. :( Wait...not true... punkin pie... I could taste the punkin pie! >:-]

Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Sounds like Kate has a cold, the same as I did.

I love the cartoon and the story, Wordsmith. Oh, that we would have more judges in the land like that one! Blessings, and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Friday, November 24, 2006 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
HAVE A GOD BLESSED AND
JOY FILLED
WEEKEND
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Friday, November 24, 2006 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Happy Thanksgiving, WS!

That's a great story.

Friday, November 24, 2006 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Great toon and story. Hope you had a great thanksgiving!!!!!

Friday, November 24, 2006 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks everyone.

I think I had a little too much gravy....

Saturday, November 25, 2006 12:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved