Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Scary Mary and Ichabod Crane

This is pretty clever:



I admit, not only do I like the film Marry Poppins, but I also got into watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, by the third year. This is a featurette on perhaps my favorite self-contained episode that can be enjoyed without being a Buffy fan:




It's an incredible tv episode, where the plot is moved along with the absence of spoken dialogue.

I'm not too keen on slasher films with gratuitous gore and sadistic violence; I think it's not too healthy for one's soul. But I do like a good ghost story. The kind that puts a chill up your spine.

Growing up, some of my favorite ghost tales came out of the Japanese tradition. One of the well known ones is the story of Okiku. Folk version:

Okiku was the beautiful servant of the samurai, Aoyama Tessan. She refused his amorous advances so he tricked her into believing that she had carelessly lost one of the family's ten precious delft plates. She recounted the nine plates many times but when she could not find the tenth, Aoyama offered to overlook the matter if she became his lover. Again she refused and he threw her down a well to her death.

She became a vengeful spirit who tormented her murderer by counting to nine and then making a terrible shriek to represent the missing tenth plate. In some versions of the story, this torment continued until an exorcist or neighbor shouted "ten" in a loud voice at the end of her count. Her ghost, apparently easily satisfied, haunted the samurai no more.

I tried finding other tales, but didn't have much Google luck. Other stories I vaguely remember, is a samurai who had been sleeping with the skeletal remains of a ghost, without knowing it. Another one has a strange woman who always bought milk at a strange hour; finally, a couple of the townsfolk followed her and saw her disappear into a grave, from which they heard a baby's cry. They dug it up, to find a newborn. The mother had been killed while pregnant; her spirit continued to bring nourishment, until the baby was given birth.

See also:
Yotsuya Kaidan

I also like Edgar Allen Poes, some E.T.A. Hoffman, and folk tales like the story of Bluebeard, and non-sugar-coated Grimms Fairy & Folk Tales.






Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen Townsend said...

Just last weekend I was teasing the husband about watching Buffy. He can't help himself, he thinks she's hot. Sick old guy that he is.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

Classics my friend. OK while we are admitting things, I still like to watch Mary Poppins. In fact I have the 60th Anniversary DVD.

Also When the movie came out she was my first childhood crush! My son grew up watching it so much that he can sing all of the music....ahmm along with his dad!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are looking for something really scary then all you need to do is start reading about Vlad the Impaler from Romania. He was the inspiration behind the story of vampires and Dracula. The castle where he er...um... lived is still there and has become somewhat of legend. It is not easily accessable and many strange things have happened to the people that have tried to do extensive research about the castle and Vlad. It was good place to start a scary story.

Nothing is quite as scary as the real stories of horror. Think Vlad came back to life to becaome a guard at Guantanamo? If you listen to most liberal morons you would think so.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I agree with Jennifer. I really don't enjoy scary stories, and horror stories not at all! It's because much of reality is far scarier than any fiction anyone can dream up, but it's also because when I relax I want to be at peace. Well, at least as much as possible, anyway.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

karen....she is kinda "hot" (^_~)

ken, I had a crush on Mary Poppins, as well. After all, she's practically perfect in every way.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I liked watching Buffy.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:24:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Great Videos Word :-)

I am like you also I LOVE good scary movies, not the blood and gore stuff.

I LOVE the lady on Lifetime that does that show "Beyond The Grave" or something like that, Lisa Williams that's her name.

I like scary and creepy.

That Mary poppins Video was good
:-)

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:21:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Oh yeah,

My daughter to this day still watches Inuyasha I think the name is, and she tought herself to speak perfect Japenese lol.

I think some of those cartoons may be very educational for some people.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved