Saturday, June 27, 2009

alk

When I was growing up, a child through the 70's, I had some vague recollection of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. I believe when I was very young- maybe age 3, my parents took me to see it at a drive-in. When we lived in South Carolina, I remember being at home in the afternoon, and it was on tv. I must have been in pre-school or Kindergarten.

During this time, I vividly recalled the 2001 segments on Electric Company and Sesame Street. The Thus Spake Zarathustra music is just memorable and awe-filling. The cartoons might not be scary to an adult; but I remember these little skits evoked a sense of awe, wonder, fear, and the mysterious. I really can't tell you if they taught me what they were trying to teach. I just remember: 1. The pounding music 2. the crumbling monolith 3. Astronauts trembling in awe and terror.




By high school, 2001 was the ultimate sci-fi movie for me. It's perfect, in every way, including and especially the sparse dialogue and austere boredom of space travel....and of course the religious wonderment of the meaning of life, the secret to life, where we came from, where we're going, is there life out there, is there God? The image of the monolith is the perfect alien- a black impenetrable slab, a total enigma; and the Star Child at the end evokes that sense of wonder of new life in the womb...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I saw 2001 in Sacramento in 1968, at a theatre that was a short time later torn down for a Raley's supermarket. I pad $3 to see it. Paying $3 at the time was HERESY.

[HAL won't let Dave into the ship]
Dave Bowman: All right, HAL; I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

BZ

Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Chuck said...

I thought it was ground breaking for it's time

Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:49:00 PM  
Blogger RaDena said...

It was awesome! I still think it's "groundbreaking". I love both the movie and the music. I can't think of any movie that has improved on it.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:08:00 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

WS-forgot all about 2001 !!
Thanks for the memory..
BTW-re: flopping aces-who or what has the 'power' to pull a site?
C-CS

Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Have you ever read the book? A lot of details missing from the movie and the book is a lot easier to follow. I like the movie and the book versions.

Monday, June 29, 2009 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Z said...

ruhroh. never saw it!!

Monday, June 29, 2009 3:31:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

shoprat

My dad had the book, but I never bothered to read it. What I like about the movie is the very fact that not everything is explained. For 2001, it worked. It left enough up for interpretation, like a spiritual odyssey. The visuals, the music, minimal dialogue, was perfect for the purpose.

z.....OMG! I need to lend you the movie!!!! You can't leave this life before you've seen the movie.

Actually, in all honesty, the movie won't appeal to everyone.


cs,

FA has quite a few "enemies".

Monday, June 29, 2009 7:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved