Sunday, July 22, 2007

How was Your Sunday? (or: A Summer Weekend Day in the Life of a Blue-State Conservative)

I've been without car for 3 weeks now. The Wordsmithmobile V4.0 broke down and needs a new engine. I made the mistake of not having roadside service take it to my regular mechanic (at the time, I didn't realize it would be this severe). At the recommendation of the phone operator, I let the tow service drop my vehicle off at (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAarrrrrgh!) Pet Boys.

I feel like I am being royally screwed. But anyway, bottomline is I am putting in money for the new engine, rather than investing in a new gas-guzzler.

Meanwhile, I've been bussing it to work. Part of the reason why my commenting on other blogs has been so light is because I'm gone from about 7am to 9pm, most weekdays.

To add cherry to the top of my "good" fortune, my phone slipped out of my pocket on the bus a week ago. I figured it out next morning and called my phone. Whoever had it, hung up on me. Obviously that person did not have the honorable intention of returning it back to the rightful owner- me! So I now have a replacement phone. It's amazing how much of my life depends upon that Razr Motorola. I lost all my contact information, as I never write any numbers down anymore. Some numbers are irrecoverable. (I have not had a landline for over 7 years).

Today, one of my clients picked me up to go to the gym, for her gymnastics class. She then went to see Harry Potter, and I got dropped off by a coworker at the bus stop, so that I could go to the mall. Ever since my trip to NYC and a trip to Sbarro, I have had cravings for their lemon chicken. At the mall, there is a Sbarro's, and I ordered 3 lemon chickens, to eat for later. I struck up a conversation with the woman in line next to me, as she had her Harry Potter book with her. I grew up on C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and Robert E. Howard. I have not gotten into HP. But it's the talk of the town.

I sat down with a slice of pizza and a coke. I wanted to relax, perusing the pages of Lawrence Wright's "The Looming Tower" for a future post, as well as making origami out of print outs of blogposts and articles. Since I'm not able to be on the computer as much during the summer (I'm working long hours, because I signed on to work a lot of summer camp hours, at my gymnastics club), I have to print out the previous night, reading material to take with me for the next day.

I figured I'd leave the origami there on the table when I left, folded out of right-wing "propaganda", for others to find and enjoy.

I entertained one little boy with some origami. Periodically, people will pause and take an interest in what I am doing, compliment the paper models, or stare and point.

While I was relaxing in the mall eatery, one of my favorite kids, whose family I have grown close to, spotted me. She was with her grandmother, and they sat with me for lunch. I'm happy to say, the girl's family leans conservative (a hard find in the City of Angels). I talk openly with the grandmother and mother about my political views, and they tend to side with me. The grandmother thanked me for a couple of Thomas Sowell articles on pharmaceutical companies and fixed costs that I had sent her. After they did their shopping, they took me home. I just adore the girl, and spoil her with affection every chance I get.


I took a walk down to the local grocery market; stopped at a used bookstore along the way. It was saturated with anti-Bush, leftist, Marxist books. Hmm...maybe they were being resold because they were rejected in the first place by the original buyers? Anyway, I did end up paying $6 for a paperback of Robert Kaplan's "Warrior Politics". I was interested in Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies"...but not for $15.

Now I'm doing laundry, and eating some of that lemon chicken from Sbarro's at the mall.

And now, right this very moment...time for a little blogging....

So...how was your day?

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Wow. Apparently a little better than yours. Will you get your car back pretty soon?

I see you are somewhere in or around Nantucket. Perhaps the bus system is acceptable there. Perhaps you are younger than me. But clearly, as far as I am concerned, I don't do buses and I don't do public transportation. The public is dangerous, smelly, vacuous and addled. At least in Fornicalia. There is a reason I moved 89 miles away from central Fornicalia (and a like distance away from my job) into the Sierra Nevada Mountains: I realize my biases. I don't like many people anymore. They are ill-educated, surly, gullible. My job certainly soured me on the public after 30 years. But, I should point out, you WILL enjoy The Looming Tower. Very well written. I would be very curious as to your thoughts on the book.

BZ

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I've read the Looming Tower. I was just perusing its pages for quotes, looking over highlighted passages. I was aware of it when it came out, thanks to Hugh Hewitt.

I'm actually in Mexifornia. Mike's America will explain to you my connection to Nantucket.

Yes, the buses have given me a series of adventures. The worst is when you have noisy high schoolers who do not know how to behave in public; and more than one person on a cell phone, talking very, very loudly.

One lady sprayed lysol on her seat before sitting down. I don't know why she did that. Looking at her, she's the kind who is probably leaving behind the smell when she gets up from the chair.

Hopefully my car will be back this week.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the car. I know I haven't been on for awhile but I used to read your blog a bit. Its a good one(that's probably why I linked you)

Anyways I'm going overseas but a friend of mine wanted to revive a project that we backburnered last year. I think it has great promise but it needs some initial people to see its potential. (no money..programming or anything)

Its like a political debate site where liberals and conservatives can effectively publish newspapers that argue their points. The key is networking liberals and conservatives through the same site so there is discussion rather than two giant blog rings that never have to respond to their opposition.

If you are interested in seeing if you want to take part in it its blueredbattle.com Its free and working but vacant and unheard off.

Worst off its a free link to your blog.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:48:00 PM  
Blogger Lexcen said...

Isn't it amazing what we used to do with our time before blogging came along?

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Yah, I don't know what I'd do without a car, my cellphone or blogging. Thanks for sharing about your life, I enjoyed reading this.

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

Was wondering where you been but now this post esplains everything (misspelling intentional). Too bad about your car, the whole engine took a dump?

I've never picked up the HP books either but I grew up with the same books as you and am wondering if maybe I should give them a try for some escapism. Been reading way too much non-fiction lately, need some good old fashion entertainment.

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

"I ordered 3 lemon chickens"

???

I hope you didn't eat them all at once.

Sucks being without a car. I can't imagine what taking the bus must be like. I've never been a bus person.

Beautiful weather here the last several days. Temps only in the mid 80's and lower humidity than normal. After highs around 98 with 60% humidity last week it feels like fall. Great beach weather.

Monday, July 23, 2007 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

and I ordered 3 lemon chickens, to eat for later.

Curt, some of those printouts I take with me are of Flopping Aces posts.

think tank commander, I used to check in to your blog, but there were no new updates for a long while. I'll check out your link.

lexcen, blogging's a privilege and a curse. The whole computer thing. Somethings're lost and somethings gained...

dee, I have mixed feelings about sharing my personal life, here; but, once in a while, it's nice to "journalize" my life. This blog is political, but it's been very difficult also to not post inane stuff that interests me and have nada to do with politics. You do that very well, on your blog.

Monday, July 23, 2007 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I hope you didn't eat them all at once LATER!

This should save your bus trip:

http://lezzetler.org/recipe.php?t=1918

Sbarro Chicken Francese

5 − boneless 5 oz. chicken breasts
5 eggs
3 oz. Romano cheese
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 cup flour
pinch of white pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 pound butter
juice from 2 lemons
1 1/2 cups oil (10% olive oil, 90% vegetable oil)
lemon slices and chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Pound chicken breasts flat and cut in half. Set aside.
Scramble eggs in mixing bowl. Add Romano cheese, parsley, and white pepper. Blend and set aside.
Put flour in a large shallow bowl.
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Check temperature by dipping a corner of a chicken piece in oil.
If it boils slowly, oil is ready.
Coat both sides of a piece of chicken with flour. Dip chicken in egg mixture, making sure all flour is covered with egg. Let excess egg drip off, then place chicken in hot oil. Repeat with 4 more pieces. Fry each side of chicken until a light blond color. Remove from oil to a serving plate − keep warm.
Repeat with other chicken pieces.
Bring chicken stock to a light boil. Add butter, stirring continuously, until melted. Add lemon juice and cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously.
Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices and chopped fresh parsley.


or try the recipes in the Gitmo Cookbook:

http://www.gitmocookbook.com/index.html

Monday, July 23, 2007 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Er..thanks. Cooking takes time, y'know. Takes away from BLOGGING time.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Cooking takes less time than waiting for the bus.

And you know I haven't busted you for blogging paucity.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

"So, how was your day?" Not as interesting as yours, unless you consider raking the mowed grass from the lawn interesting. We were finally able to mow the lawn because, miracles of miracles, it didn't rain today! Everything's still wet, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. The upside from all this rain is that the weather was cool and pleasant. It's usually over 100 degrees in the shade at this time of year.

I guess snakes are interesting. The rain has brought them out. I'm not a snake fan, but these are harmless snakes that eat the field mice, so we leave them alone. One of the snakes I saw today was about five feet long. I suppose that's interesting.

I hope you get your Wordsmith back on the road soon.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:04:00 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

C'mon Sparky, fess up - we all know you are not really...real. You are just a rovian conservabot designed to confuse the sheeple..uhm...citizens of the US.

In other news: My Sunday was comparably better. Took the new bicycle out for an inaugural run on Perkiomen trail. The packed trail meanders through a pastural landscapes and antique/consignment shop that is located right off the trail. While perusing the merchandise, I found a beautiful vintage silk dress that called out to me. You never know what one may discover when communing with nature!

Sorry to read about your car. Would biking be a viable alternative till the car is being fixed?

Warrior Politics is a good read - it is part of the Skye book collection. I also grew up reading C.S. Lewis books - The Horse and His Boy being my favorite of the series.

I love my Motorola Razr but am looking forward to parting ways with the phone as I replace it with the Iphone.

So looking forward to reading your next excellent blog posting :)

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

Gayles always bragging about the rain she gets. Meanwhile, I had to water the lawn and the garden. The water bill will be hell.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I meant to say "Wordsmithmobile".

Mike, I'm sorry. If I could send you some rain I would do so in a heartbeat! We are sick of it here, but next year we'll be complaining about no rain at all, I just know it!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:16:00 AM  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Wordsmith: You're an awesome writer!

Sorry about your car, but I think you made the right decision about the engine.

You should write more about losing your phone. What happended to the Good Samaritans? I basically can't do enough nice things for people. I bet you just happened to get some hippie jerk finding your phone, else you'd have it back by now.

I read The Looming Tower last summer, right when the book came out (took a break from reading Atlas Shrugged to do it). I've written a review of it on my page, which should come up if you search Lawrence Wright.

I don't know if you'll like the Clarke volume. I haven't read it, but did read loads of reviews of it when it came out. Rotten eggs, it seems. Not only that, one of my neo-Marxist historian colleagues in my department gave EXTRA CREDIT to his students if they read and wrote a book report on Against All Enemies. If you saw it right up there will all the other Chomsky-esque tomes, it was in the right place (IMHO).

Have a great day! My summer's going fine - watching an Angel's game, blogging, and having pizza and beer right now.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll try to come back and post a better response to your comments. Just wanted to let you fine folks know, you aren't being ignored.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Just procrastinated upon. (^_^)

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger Gail A. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger Gail A. said...

I'm sorry about your car & your phone. The only other thing I couldn't live without is my puter. So at least you have that :)~ By the way which mall do you go to? What part of LA is it that you live in? I'm in Burbank....

Sorry that last comment was full of typos that I didn't see until after I posted it.

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

gail,

I live in Santa Monica, and work in Culver City. I'm not a mall-goer, really. And I went to Westside Pavilion. But until my car broke down, I hadn't been there since all the new construction had been going on. Still haven't visited the new wing, but it's got new movie theaters and the new Barnes & Nobles to be checked out.

I still haven't gotten my car back, btw. It's supposed to be ready, though. I was told 70% chance Thursday night, it'd be ready. Then Friday I called and they said it was done, but wanted to run tests, and it'd be ready Saturday. Well, it's now Monday....

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved