Thursday, July 05, 2007

Still Eyeing the National Guard

I e-mailed my recruiter just now. She had told me before to "just be patient". But it's been late February since I took my medical exam, and a couple months after that since I last talked to my recruiter. My dad said it took 3 months for him to get a medical waiver for his gout medication.

Perhaps this explains a little why it's taking so long...

Sgt. Dana Kline holds an oversized check for $62,000 at his Georgia Army National Guard armory in Macon, Ga., in March 2007. The check is a portion of the $94,000 he'll receive for recruiting 47 new Guard members. By Elliott Minor, AP

Looks like there's no shortage on recruitment. Of course, that's good news. I just don't understand why it takes so long to hear back on a medical waiver- whether it goes one way or another. Is it just bureaucratic inefficiency?

Meanwhile, on the anniversary of our nation's Declaration of Independence, almost 600 U.S. soldiers re-enlisted at Baghdad's Camp Victory, with 161 serving also becoming naturalized citizens.

The military is starting to offer free LASIK. If I were already in, I might consider using my recruitment bonus to pay for LASIK, myself. I'd hate to serve under combat conditions, and have my contacts melt into my eyeballs from flash burns during a firefight.

I can't help but wonder if this too, might not be another motivating factor for the non-shortage in enlistment. That's a really nice smile. Enough to make any American suddenly feel an overwhelming sense of patriotism and a dutiful desire to serve in 1st Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment, Utah National Guard, just to bask in the radiance of those teeth, and in those eyes whose warm glow eclipses the sun.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

either way I wish ya the bestest Word!..hold on..bet they ring u up any minute now. God speed!

Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks, angel.

My statcounter is at 49996...who will be the 50,000th customer?!

Too bad I didn't add the statcounter when I first began this blogsicle stand.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Must be a snafu in the buracracy, since http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0607/061107ap1.htm reports that NG may recruting level was 88%.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

That Army Guard guy is getting all that dough under the GRAP program. AGR or traditional Guardsmen get $2000 per recruit. Might want to ask a friend who is a Guardsman to enlist you for the $2000 and the two of you split it.

Good luck getting in.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Wow, thats a long time to wait!!

Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I think it's bureaucracy, because there's no way it should be taking this long. Miss Utah is beautiful and it's no wonder you sound smitten! ;)

Maybe I'll be your 50,000th visitor, Wordsmith, and perhaps you'll be mine. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Mine's at 47,533 for visits though, so I still have a ways to go.

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I wanted to 50 thousand. Again I'm a day late and a comment short. I'm 50060, sheesh.

The military will let you know you're status in their time. I guess they are breaking you in. I do hope the let you in though. I can see it now Staff Seargent Wordsmith Boot camp instructor. Drop down and give me fifty recruit, Aye aye Seargent Word oops I mean yes Seargent Word. I get the terminology mixed up, sorry about that you dogfaces:-)

Friday, July 06, 2007 8:36:00 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

It's quite a long time to wait actually. The recruiters all have quotas and they want to get people in quickly. It has to be a snafu in the bureaucracy.

It is true tho that in the military its all about hurrying up to wait.

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

That is wrather interesting.

You might want to find out what is in your medical report?

There may be something in there that is the holdup.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Gail A. said...

Hee hee I heard free breast implants too when you're active duty. Guess that one's not as important to you as the Lasix though??

Glad to see you back :)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved