Sunday, December 31, 2006

Sparks from the Anvil Year End Review


Mike's America is gathering up "favorite posts" that fellow bloggers have done over the past year as an end-of-the-year wrap up. While going through my drivel, I was quite surprised at how many posts I have made that are actually quite good [/narcissism]. I don't consider myself a "citizen journalist". Just a radical center-right moderate, being pushed more and more to the right by the left, who has a place to come to and express his opinion; and a place to relay the news items of the day reported by others, that I think deserve more exposure or scrutiny.

After surfing through the past year's worth of posts, I settled on about 8 that I think are my best. It doesn't mean they are my most important posts. This is a numbered list, where #1 is the least noteworthy, and #8 the most worthwhile.

  1. Political Bias - We are all victims to this. I found the article from a liberal commentor who I got along with at Casting Pearls Before Swine, even as we disagreed. It's an important article, because I see the truth of it, all the time. We lean toward believing in anything that supports our side, and are skeptical of anything that doesn't. I am complicit in the bias. I at least, recognize it.
  2. Asians on a Plane- The only reason why I like this, is because I thought I was pretty creative and current with the times. Not great, but it amused me. And if I don't entertain myself, then I'm not having fun at this blogging business.
  3. Erectile Finger Dysfunction- Former President Clinton loses his cool with Chris Wallace. Why is my post so special? Only because of my photo-captioning. Again, not great; not ground-breaking blogging; but amusing to me, nevertheless.
  4. Bumperstickers- One of my favorite pastimes, is to take pictures of all the lunatic bumperstickers out there on the road. Why GOD?!? Why?!? WHY?!! Why do moonbats and peace fascists and losers-for-Kerry/Edwards-2-years-after-the-2004-Election insist on advertising their politics with ugly-ass bumperstickers on their vehicles?
  5. Heckler Thomas- The venerable old battleax, known as the "First Lady of the White House Press Corp" dukes it out with the President. Now she has Tony Snow to break lances with. But before that, there was this "lighthearted" post, courtesy of Wordsmith.
  6. My Ronald Reagan Tribute Post- Mike's America called for Reagan tributes, and Sparks from the Anvil answered that call with a reprint of a letter Reagan wrote to his son, Michael. Tell me that it is not deeply moving, wise, and romantic.
  7. America's First War with Islamic Terror- Not exactly; but it certainly beats the revisionist, romanticized, America-self-hating Howard Zinn-colored lens view of our nation's history. This was undoubtedly America's first real war with Islamic militant terror, of the variety we face today. But 200 years ago, our forefathers faced their ancestors, and it's worth noting the words of John Adams: "We ought not to fight them at all, unless we determine to fight them forever."
  8. 9/11 Tribute Post to David Reed Gamboa-Brandhorst- This might be the most important, worthwhile contribution I could have made to the blogosphere and to the family of David, Daniel, and Ron. For those who had read it in September, you might want to go back and check out the next to last comment made (#56). It's from David's first mom. It is long, and it is passionately written. There is not a newspaper "alive" that has done more than I in bringing you David's story. Joseph Rago miserably disparages blogs; but one advantage (and yes, in some ways, disadvantage too) of reading from a blog, is the fact that there is no editing due to space limitations and constraints. It is interactive, and it can be raw data, unfiltered.
While we're at this, can someone please, for the love of mercy, explain to me how this frog fell in this well? Is he going to live in that post, like gollum under the Misty Mountains, for the next several decades?

Finally, I'd like to thank all of my readers and blogging buddies. You folks make it fun. And a special thank you to Curt for inviting me to contribute to Flopping Aces. It's been almost a year.

Feel free to leave links to your own "best of" posts.

Happy New Year, everyone and God bless the Troops!

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to come back and read them all - but, I do remember #1 - it really touched my heart and having read 100's of tributes that day, I had forgotten where I found it, but it was the one I remembered.

Thank you!!!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Hey, how come the pix of my bumper are not nominated??!?!? Remember my bumper sticker war? Ah, it's okay, I drive my van with pride for myself anwho. (tee-hee-hee)

Sending blessings to you, Sparky, for 2007. May all that you hope for and wish for come true!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Wordsmith,
Wonderful stuff from your archives! Especially Number 8.

Happy New Year!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all good, Word!

:)

Happy New Year! Here's to a Saddam-free 2007!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

I am still digging, but I like yours better :-)

Happy New Year to you too Word!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 8:28:00 PM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

I left a couple over at Mike's, I had no idea I had so many post's.

You are collecting them too, well I am still digging I thought this was a good one:

http://mariestwocents.blogspot.com/2006/11/i-went-through-hell-to-vote.html#comments

I will see what else I can dig up.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:53:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Marie,

I'm not really collecting. That's Mike's pet project. I just thought it would be nice to give the ok, for anyone who wants to promote a favorite post in this comment section.

I remember that post of yours Marie. It's incredible that all of that happened to you. What I also found funny was the comments:

What the hell is a mudkitty?"

Lol! I guess that was your first introduction to her. She's only posted about once at my bungalow. Kinda hurts my feelings that she didn't see fit to troll around here, but she's over at all my favorite conservative places.

I actually don't think she's that bad, compared to some moonbats floating around out there. She can be pretty civil.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

flag gazer and always on watch,

Thanks. The 9/11 post is indeed special.

Pamela, your vehicle is "messy", but it's the right "messy" with pro-troop bumperstickers.

skye...you know how I adore you. With or without Saddam hanging around in the world.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:08:00 PM  
Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

I enjoy reading your posts and sorry that I haven't visited/commented as much in the last six months as I use to...hopefully 2007 will be better for me. Wanted to wish you a very Happy, Healthy New Year...and thank you for always checking in on me. (smiling)

Hoping 2007 will ROCK for US all!! I know we are going to have to fight those crazy liberals with our keyboards as much as possible...that is sure thing. Take care and have good one!!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Indigo Red said...

I'd have to say the posts from Curt at Flopping Aces were among the most excellent of the year. Those concerning the identity of Green Helmet also excelled. Any time any of us can show the MSM for what they are is good.

And Saddam is dead. That can't be bad. Maybe OBL will become dead in 2007.

Happy New Year.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

This is hilarious because I ended up thinking the same exact thing. It was so hard for me to pick only 3 posts for Mike's post so I decided I would have to do a post on my top 10.

Great post, I remember all of your favorites.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

You left a very special comment on my blog while I was gone; thanks so much, Wordsmith. I really appreciate it.
I'm going to be trying to play catch up and it's going to be a bit difficult. Try taking a week off and you'll see what I mean.

I don't see how you can possibly pick best posts from your work; as far as I can tell, all of your work is astounding.

Many blessings to you and yours, Wordsmith, and Happy New Year! :)

Sunday, December 31, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

I'm sendin Mike my whole blog..LMBO..j/k howdy Word!..HAPPY RAINY NEW YEARS FROM NEW YORK!..lol..:)

Monday, January 01, 2007 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Years, Wordsmith!
I'm glad it was you and not me who had to pull your best posts cuz I would have had one heck of a time choosing!

Monday, January 01, 2007 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I haven't been over to Mike's place for quite some time because for some reason, my browser often freezes as soon as I go there. So, I wasn't aware that he asked for links to our favorite posts. This morning I went over there, and although my computer didn't freeze this time, his blog wasa completely blank!

I went through most of my posts over the previous year and I found many that I thought were very good (in my hunble opinion) but none equal the quality of your intelligenbt, insightful, posts.

Since I can't seem to access Mike's blog, perhaps you could link him to mine for me. I selected my April 28th post, which is an updated reprinting of what I consider to be my best post ever, that I re-posted on the first anniversary of my blog. Here is the link:

A Question

Monday, January 01, 2007 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

Well here is another one Word, if Mark didnt crash Mike's page j/k I'll be over there and throw these in his box.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proof! American Soldiers torturing Iraqi Children

http://mariestwocents.blogspot.com/2006/12/proof-american-soldiers-torturing.html#comments
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes that was my first intodution to the "Mudkitty", after I turned on no-anonymous comment's for a few day's she/he/it left, and probably assumes I still have it on lol. In doing that I also provided Mrs Green with the opportunity to start her own blog and she is busy with that now haha.

I know what happened over at Mike's, it happened to me too. When he posted that huge picture of the firework's everything turned to red on his page, after I put up Saddam's hanging video, it was to big and turned everything to red on my page also.

I just fixed a few post's down that I cared about and it all turned back to nomal except the comment section some of them are still in red lol.

Monday, January 01, 2007 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger The Liberal Lie The Conservative Truth said...

Very good choices and excellent posts as always. Happy New Year Word!

Monday, January 01, 2007 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Frank Staheli said...

I especially enjoyed your comments about one of our greatest presidents--Ronald Reagan. It is remarkable to see a husband and wife who have been married for so long be even more in love. It's not something that you would ever expect to see from a Bill and Hillary Clinton relationship, but then again the important things in life aren't important to some people.

I hope that my wife and I will continue to court each other all our years with as much elegance and mutual love as did Ronnie and Nancy.

Monday, January 01, 2007 4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun Post! We all should make one of these!! Sgt Hook has a good system too. Happy New Year Guy!

Monday, January 01, 2007 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Suzie,

Don't sweat it; I don't need reciprocal comments. Just come by when you can.

Indigo,

Curt's had a great year!

Chatterbox,

I wanted to only submit my top post, but couldn't choose between my top 3. Really, I only have 3. The other 5 just amuse me, and think they deserve a "C" for creativity (well...not imaginative, but I think creative, nevertheless).

Gayle,

You left a very special comment on my blog while I was gone; thanks so much, Wordsmith. I really appreciate it.

Really?! I'll have to go to your place to find out what I said. Lol.

Angel, Deb, Ken, & Chrys,

Thanks! Hope the year is treating you right!

Mark,

I remember that post. It is one of your best.

Marie,

I wonder if you and Mark have trouble, because of the template? You use the same template as Mike, and for all the blogs I visit that have that same one, the page always loads a bit slower than normal. Do you not experience it when visiting your own blog?

Oh, and are you talking about the red text? I noticed that too! I thought you guys were doing that on purpose, for whatever bizarre reason. Didn't give it a lot of thought, though. LOl.

Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to read that post.

For those of you unfamiliar with Frank, you should go check out his milblog. It's excellent; and the comments are an excellent read, too. If you have time to enter the fray, there's plenty of debate to be had over there.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:54:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Well....sometimes I get a slow load. Right now blogs with that template (like Mike's America) are loading fine.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

Man, i loved every one of those posts of yours Word. While I've been lucky with some fact checking posts there is no way I can compete with your writing. One reason why I invited you over to Flopping Aces.

Good stuff!

Monday, January 01, 2007 8:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since all your posts are good, how did you choose? :)

A VERY Happy New Year to ya!

Monday, January 01, 2007 8:46:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

I think Curt is far to self-deprecating about his writing skills.

"Collecting" all the posts for my New Year's "pet" without the benefit of Curt's gnomes has been a job I can tell you.

Glad to hear from Mark too. Sometimes the page just refuses to load for me too Mark. Probably because I try and cram too much down the internet pipe.

Your comment got through fine today.

Part Two of the New Year's wrapup today might as well be titled "All Sparky" as Wordsmith's most excellent post on Islamic Imperialism sets the stage for much of the rest of the week.

Happy New Year all!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Curt and Kate, thanks for the compliments.

Mike wrote:

I think Curt is far to self-deprecating about his writing skills.

"Collecting" all the posts for my New Year's "pet" without the benefit of Curt's gnomes has been a job I can tell you.


I swear: I am not one of Curt's gnomes!

I am amazed that he's able to hold down a job and family, and still blog as prolificly as he does. He says he can blockquote like crazy, but he also writes in there quite a bit of his own analysis, too. And the amount of reading and research to stay on top of things is amazing. So, I wonder what he pays his gnomes, and how many of them are there?



Part Two of the New Year's wrapup today might as well be titled "All Sparky" as Wordsmith's most excellent post on Islamic Imperialism sets the stage for much of the rest of the week.


Flag Gazer's post is not to be missed. As I wrote on Mike's Wordloom:

I asked him one time why he did all of these things. He looked at me and said, "Everything good you have in life is because you are an American - a free woman who can do what she wants to do. And, you owe it to the military and to that flag to never forget."

Flag Gazer,

Your grandfather exemplifies American patriotism. What an inspiration! I feel that anyone who were to have met him would come away from the experience, a better person for it.

Everyone should go there and add their thoughts to such a well-written and moving tribute.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

My frog in a well just left a "comment". :(

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mike's America said...

You've got no one but yourself to blame for that frog. Either comment moderation or Haloscan IP tracking and you bust the amphib.

I cannot figure out what all that is about, so toss some salt down that well and settle the matter.


Oh, and I wouldn't tag you as one of Curt's gnomes...I think he contracts them out from Michelle Malkin.

But don't deprecate yourself either. That Islamic Imperialism post deserves the time and space I gave to it.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

© Copyright, Sparks from the Anvil, All Rights Reserved